Getting Genesis 8 poses to work with non-Genesis figures

I hope this is the right place. I've been giving the forums and the internet a look around for the answer, but I'm not sure if I'm asking the right question.

So, as the title says, I'm wondering if there's a way I've overlooked for making Genesis 8 (or any pose really) work with non-Genesis figures. I tend to use poses from the marketplace as bases for my own poses, as it's easier than setting it all up from the initial t-pose. This is fine when I'm using Genesis figures, but for a recent project, I was using HH Werewolf and I found myself frustrated when additional werewolf poses I brought along with it weren't working because HH Werewolf is a separate figure from the Genesis line. Yes, these kinds of figures often come with poses of their own, but they're just a drop in the ocean compared to the hundreds if not thousands of poses the Genesis figures have.

So I'm just wondering if there's a way to get these poses to work? Obviously, I'm not expecting non-humanoid figures to work with humanoid poses, but even if I could get the arms and legs to work with Genesis poses, it would be a real help.

Comments

• Not automatically, since the pose just records the rotations realtive to the zeroed state and the zero states will differ from figure to figure. If you keep wanting the same combo you could either adjust one figure to match the other, note the rotations needed, and use those to adjust the poses (via a script, ideally) but even then you may need further adjustments where the actual break down into bones is different (I don't have the werewolf but it's probably digitgrade, so leg poses simply won't convert mechanically).

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,771

The bones are all different on that figure and so I would imagine you would need a very clever person to spend a very long time writing a converter script. And even then it wouldn't really translate well given the differing proprotions and lack of a tail on humans.

I don't think there is an additional pose set for that figure, however you can kind-of increase the number of poses from the default 11 by mixing & merging them using puppeteer. If you can get close to the pose you want you can then use Powerpose and/or the Posing dials to do the finishing touches.

If you really must have a Werewolf doing a variety of weird and wonderful poses then you'd probably be better off going with one of the Werewolves that is actually morphed from a Genesis figure. There are quite a few in the store it seems and so perhaps one might suit the look you need.

• Thank you for the feedback. I had a feeling it wouldn't be simple, but I'm glad to have gotten the confirmation.

The Werewolf project is done now, so this was more for future reference than anything else. Thank you for your time.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,503
    edited October 2022

It is possible to write a script to do the transfer, but the person writing the script really needs to have both characters.

I have done a scripts that bi-directionally transfer poses between V3 & G3/G8 and also V4 & G3/G8. It is a bit of a slog to write but not very hard, You need all the bone names in their correct case and do a best guess assessment of how different bones behave in relation to near-equivalent G8 bones. To see the sort of thing I did, take a look here: https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/G8F_Pose_Transfer_To_Glamorous_Vickie_3_Script. GV3 has a T pose and feet that are bent 45 degrees more than G8F's, along with no pelvis bone etc, so all the sorts of conversion actions needed for the werewolf are already done in this character. The things that need doing & checking are described peripherally in this post: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/446941/g8f-pose-transfer-to-aiko-3-victoria-3-gv3

Now, you may have seen earlier in thais post that I said 'the person writing the script really needs to have both characters'. I am afraid I don't have the werewolf and it's not something I would want, but if you PM me, we might be able to find a way of exchanging enough information for me to do something useful. If I were to do it, I'd add one stipulation, that I can release the pose transfer script as a freebie at some point so others can use it too.

Regards,

Richard.

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • Thank you for the offer, Richard, but as I said, the project with the Werewolf is already finished. This question was more for future reference, in case I'd overlooked something due to my still being fairly new at working with Daz.

Case in point, I don't' think I fully understand your explanation, but I feel like what you're saying is this script would only work for a specific character you rigged up? I was hoping for something more universal, EG, a checkbox I hadn't checked in the presets or a way to puppeteer the figure to a Genesis 8 figure the same way you add props to it. What you're offering sounds good, but also like a lot of effort for an asset I don't know if I'll use all that often, now the project is over. In the future, I'll probably look for assets directly built around the Genesis figures or bite the bullet and do it manually.

Truly though, thank you for the offer and your time in writing the explanation

• A universal script is close to impossible to create - probably, almost certainly impossible for me to write. So, yes, it does have to be specific. Already having the framework of the script (as I have) makes it easier, and the most difficult part of the thing is having the idea of how do do it in the first place. The rest is simply a large helping of stubbornness. The idea of releasing it on an unsuspecting public as a freebie is one way to get more use from the effort. But, you not taking me up on the offer saves me work, so I'm not complaining! Regards, Richard.
  • Yes, I was gathering from what's been said here and my own searches that it wasn't going to be simple, to put it mildly. I suppose I feel the silver lining is that at least it wasn't something simple that I'd overlooked, like a tick box that needed to be checked, so at least I feel like less of an idiot.

Thank you for reaching out, though. Again, I really do appreciate it.