Set objects to an exact size

I'd like to have a way to import an object (could be anything) and scale it to an exact size. (like say 150cm on the X axis or whatever)

It seems to me, that this should be the easiest thing in the world, however Daz has no option to do it. I've been just trying to scale to a plane that I create to the desired dimenions, but getting it exact with any irragular shape is near impossible.

It looks like there used to be some scripts to do this as well as report the size of an object, but those links are now dead.

I already have Measure Metrics and no, it isn't a good option. For figures, yes. But not for anything else, it's far to fiddly for that.

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

Determine the current dimensions and then do the maths.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

It is better to import an object at the correct scale, rather than scaling it using the Parameter Tab's Scale slider.

A better way to approach your problem, would be to export the Genesis at Daz scale (1unit = 1cm) which will serve as a reference template. Import it in any 3D modeling app (with a world scale also set to centimeters). Then import your object and scale it to the dimension you want. 3D Modeling apps, with rulers, snap to a grid, etc. have ways to do that precisely. If it's a prop and not something fitted to the Genesis, then place this prop at the center of the scene (X,Y and Z all = 0). Reset its scale, position and rotation, and then export it as obj. Import that in Daz and there you go, it'll have the proper scale.

Daz offers some useful tools for manipulating objects, even at their polygon level, but it is often better to get used to the idea that Daz is nice at what it does : morphing, but it's not a modeler. To do a lot of things that are not meant to be done in Daz, it's a good habit to always have Blender or any other 3D app at hand, to work on such matters that are more related to 3D modeling.

That being said, have you tried this bundle that seems to fit your needs ?

Measure Metrics for DAZ Studio

Quote : "The Measure Metrics plug-in will allow you to measure the length, diameter or angle of figures and props in your scene"

Let's hope it really does that as the two videos only shows measurement on the Genesis... not a random prop.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • hansolocambo said:

It is better to import an object at the correct scale, rather than scaling it using the Parameter Tab's Scale slider.

A better way to approach your problem, would be to export the Genesis at Daz scale (1unit = 1cm) which will serve as a reference template. Import it in any 3D modeling app (with a world scale also set to centimeters). Then import your object and scale it to the dimension you want. 3D Modeling apps, with rulers, snap to a grid, etc. have ways to do that precisely. If it's a prop and not something fitted to the Genesis, then place this prop at the center of the scene (X,Y and Z all = 0). Reset its scale, position and rotation, and then export it as obj. Import that in Daz and there you go, it'll have the proper scale.

Daz offers some useful tools for manipulating objects, even at their polygon level, but it is often better to get used to the idea that Daz is nice at what it does : morphing, but it's not a modeler. To do a lot of things that are not meant to be done in Daz, it's a good habit to always have Blender or any other 3D app at hand, to work on such matters that are more related to 3D modeling.

That being said, have you tried this bundle that seems to fit your needs ?

Measure Metrics for DAZ Studio

Quote : "The Measure Metrics plug-in will allow you to measure the length, diameter or angle of figures and props in your scene"

Let's hope it really does that as the two videos only shows measurement on the Genesis... not a random prop.

See http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/plugins/measure_metrics/start

• KeikuKeiku Posts: 143

So it looks like I have to do a lot of leg work just to see what size an object is and scale it to an exact dimension. I was really hoping to avoid pulling it into blender then back again and having to deal with all the extra bits that come with that.

Like I previously said, I have Measure Metrics but that is pretty useless when trying to scale props and other objects easily. It can be done certainly, but I'm not sure its worth the hastle. Though perhaps better than the Blender option.