Trying to apply Dforce to a jacket

I found a tutorial about adding dForce to clothing. I want to add it to the BKCBG Biker Jackte https://www.daz3d.com/classic-biker-gear-for-genesis-8-females

I followed the instructions and all seemed to go well but when I ran the simulation it basically disintigrated.

Can anyone direct me to a tutorial that would help me accomplish adding dForce to the jacket?

All I want it to drap the jacket over the back of a chair and over a character's arm. 

Thanks.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,316
    edited October 2022

It probably means that the parts of the jacket are not welded together. Fixing that would involve editing the geometry, or possibly creating new geometry to stitch the parts together and setting it up as a dForce add-on.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • leo04leo04 Posts: 325

Richard Haseltine said:

It probably means that the parts of the jacket are not welded together. Fixing that would involve editing the geometry, or possibly creating new geometry to stitch the parts together and setting it up as a dForce add-on.

How do I weld the parts of the jacket together?

• leo04 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

That would depend on how they are made.

• If a 3D mesh wasn't specifically made for dForce, it can have details (metal parts in this jacket, etc) that are not all parts of the same mesh.

You need to find non dForce objects that simulate fine. When one doesn't, the only solution is to use 3rd party apps to 3d model the necessary modifications to make the cloth simulation friendly. You can't fix 3D objects without knowing at least the basics of 3D modeling with 3D apps (Blender, Carrara, C4D, Maya, etc).

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

Which parts disintegrated and how badly? Are we talking just the zippers or did the belt tabs go? If the zippers you could try turning off their simulating in the surfaces tab.

Sometime turning down the dynamics strength can help also. It's a matter of playing with different settings to see if they make a difference. 

Sometime a garment just doesn't work well though. It depends how much work your willing to put in also. 

• leo04leo04 Posts: 325

At this point I will just work a way to get the images out of the progression of my future scenes. It is not that big a deal and if I have to use only Dforce made clothing that is okay with me I just had hoped it would be a quick and simple process that would get me what I needed for a couple frames on the page.

Thanks to all for your reponses, This thread as far as my interest goes is closed.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

If you know only Daz. A simple way to fix that issue :

Use the geometry editor tool to select 1 single polygon of the actual jacket. Press Ctrl+*, this will select all welded/linked polygons. Then press Ctrl+/ to select everything else. Delete that.

You're now left with the jacket alone, and probably no more buckles, zippers, whatever.

Add dForce. Configure the Surface(s) manually if you read and tested a bit about Surface simulation settings. Or use something like dForce Master - Cloth Simulation Presets to get an already configured dForce preset that will hopefully work fine.

Simulate.

Once simulated, you can load the jacket again, delete all polygons but 1 buckle and place it manually. And repeat that process to isolate and place manually zippers and so on.

quick and simple process

Everything seems simple and eventually "quick" once you know how to do it. But the steps between "I don't know" and "I know" must be taken at least once to comprehend and finally know.

Post edited by hansolocambo on

hansolocambo said:

Use the geometry editor tool to select 1 single polygon of the actual jacket. Press Ctrl+*, this will select all welded/linked polygons. Then press Ctrl+/ to select everything else. Delete that.

You're now left with the jacket alone, and probably no more buckles, zippers, whatever.

Add dForce. Configure the Surface(s) manually if you read and tested a bit about Surface simulation settings. Or use something like dForce Master - Cloth Simulation Presets to get an already configured dForce preset that will hopefully work fine.

Simulate.

Once simulated, you can load the jacket again, delete all polygons but 1 buckle and place it manually. And repeat that process to isolate and place manually zippers and so on.

quick and simple process

Everything seems simple and eventually "quick" once you know how to do it. But the steps between "I don't know" and "I know" must be taken at least once to comprehend and finally know.

Thanks great tip!

• Pendraia said:

hansolocambo said:

Simulate.

quick and simple process

Thanks great tip!

As long as the cloth is welded, not something you can be sure of in older items - and the places where the pieces join may not have vertices thata lign, so it isn't simply a matter of welding.

Hey Richard,

I've been playing a lot in the geometry editor with surfaces in DS recently. To do what he's suggesting with the surfaces it doesn't need to be welded if I understand what he's doing correctly. I was recently playing with an item in the geometry editor that wasn't fully welded and was able to make the waistband disappear to allow me access to the top row of polys so I could create a separate group for in dforce. The only difference with what he's discussing is actually deleting the polys once selected and doing the jacket in a piecemeal fashion.

• I'm pretty sure there have been items that fell apart in the cloth room in Poser and in dForce once they had that because in modeling them the cloth panels were not attached to each other.

Yes there are but the person you quoted along with my post has a method that can work in this situation.  For his solution it doesn't need to be welded.

• Pendraia said:

Yes there are but the person you quoted along with my post has a method that can work in this situation.  For his solution it doesn't need to be welded.

The cloth would need to be welded, which was my point - otherwise the method would yield only a single panel of the cloth. However, partially welded would work for the selection method (if not for simulation).