Meaning of hidden morph prefixes and morph types.

Hi, 

Here I have 2 related questions that are straight forward to answer by anyone that have the knowledge.

1) I tried looking the Documentation center, but couldn't find anything (if even in there). I am trying to understand a bit better the nature of the different type of morphs you can find in the hidden directory. I am already familiar with "JCM" ­­meaning "Joint Corrective Morph" which are morphs that correct specific joints rotations and sometime only activating when in multiplication with a character figure. I also know that "MCM" is a "Morph Corrective Morph", but I am not sure of the specifics about this one. 

The currently mysterious ones I came by are: eJCM, pJCM, PBM, CTRL, pCTRL.  Any other important ones I missed?

2) Some clarifications about the morph types in parameter setting of a morph. Most are Modifier/Shape. I get that these ones are taken into account when you restore the shape of the figure; same principle for the Modifier/pose type; does it serve any other purpose? I wondering about the uses of the other types like: [ ]/generated, [ ]/corrective, [ ]/utility, etc. 

Sorry for the very "grocery list" type of question :L. I feel I should know this by now, but I never came accross the right ressources. This would help me understand what does what to the figure, if I need to desactivate some of them, fix them sometime. Also to have the right prefix when I create my own corrective morphs.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

Damn great question as it's one of the things that is still very blurry to me. Couldn't have asked it any better. Hope someone will make all of that clear.

The few I know about :

MCM I guess is... for example a morph that is so different from the main Genesis (like a horse made from the Genesis) that most Daz default morphs (mouth open, eyes closed, etc.) won't work perfectly with it. MCM are extra morphs that will correct some usual sliders so that their result looks ok on Genesis morphs shapes a  bit out of the ordinary). You play with eyes closed slider on your Genesis-horse, and eyes close fine because the MCM does its work in the background.

PBM is a partial body morph. It usually is the body morph of a custom character. Or only specific things such as fat thighs, bigger ribs, etc.

PHM is a partial head morph. It usually is the head morph of a custom character. Or only specific things such as large nostril or pointy ears.

CTRL is usually a slider, in the case of a custom character, that will control both PBM and PHM. In the case of eyelids for example, you have Eyelid Lower Up Down for each eyelid to control them separately. And a third CTRL that will move both Eyelid sliders together.

Naming conventions are mostly there to help a content creator organize his work. Many bundles other than Daz Original bundles use the same kind of corrective morphs without respecting that specific naming convention. Given that those sliders are hidden, what's important is that they do their job properly. The way they're named is meaningful to the content creator more than anyone else.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

eJCM is a JCM meant to adjust expressions.

Any morph with a "p" will typically be a partial morph, ie one which will affect only a specific part of the figure.

• TheCedizTheCediz Posts: 172

Thank you all, this answers quite well enough my first querry. @felis That's a very good tread.

Still wondering about question 2. Are property types important for the software?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

Yes, property type is used by some features of DS. 
    For example when using "modifier/shape" or "modifier/pose" the morph will appear in shaping or posing tab.
    There's also a specific type you use when creating a clone for autofit ("modifier/clone" IIRC).

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886

Leana said:

Yes, property type is used by some features of DS. 
    For example when using "modifier/shape" or "modifier/pose" the morph will appear in shaping or posing tab.
    There's also a specific type you use when creating a clone for autofit ("modifier/clone" IIRC).

Not quite, for a morph to show in the Shaping tab it needs it's pathway set to the Actor region, and don't get me started on having poses as DSF files. 

• TheCedizTheCediz Posts: 172

Ok, so what I get from you guys is that as long as I am not creating with the intent to sell, the morph type is not something to worry that much. 

Thank you all for you answers :)

• Oh the morph type can be very important. Normally the regular morphs are called Modifier/Shape. The field has to be filled in with something -- D/S usually autofills it correctly for regular morphs.