Genesis 8.1 SubD 5

This has cost me dearly several times, as I don't always remember to check this when I load a saved file.  Often (though not every time) a saved Genesis 8.1 female character will load into the file (again, this is a saved scene, and it happens with any saved scene not just one) with a Render SubD level 5.  So, I'm merrily making changes, setting up an animation, making corrections to the bone positions, loading an asset, setting up lighting, very pleased with how this idea is going and I hit "Render" and F%^$*&CK me if the machine doesn't choke.  Then I realize that I forgot to check to make SURE that 4.20 didn't arbitrarily load my character at a subd level 5.  And because I was moving along so nicely, it slipped my mind to save the changes.  And you all know that when you have to redo the changes you never get them quite the same again.  It's like wrecking your new car, and even after it's fixed, it's just not the same ever again.

PLEASE FIX THIS.  It is really a royal pain in the A$$.

Comments

• This is not Daz Studio arbitrarily doing anything - it is that something is, by default, set to have the value at 5. It may be that the base value has changed, but more likely a morph is linked to the level value and increasing it. I think there was a thread on this a few weeks ago.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

I think there was a thread on this a few weeks ago.

Maybe this thread I guess ? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/580416/character-loading-with-high-subd-level

Genesis 8.1 female character will load into the file with a Render SubD level 5.

If I load a Genesis 8.1 Female (or Male) with only the Starter essentials Library in Content Directory Manager to be sure nothing interferes, Genesis 8.1 loads this way by default :

SubDivision Level : 2

Render SubD Level : 3

If your character loads at SubD 5, that's probably because instead of loading the Genesis 8.1 default and applying morphs manually by sliding head and body morphs from some character, you loaded a Character from its icon that's usually located in ..\People\Genesis 8\Characters

If the content creator has decided to save the character's .duf with a SubD 5, then this value will override the one set by Daz3D for its Genesis 8.1 by default.

make SURE that 4.20 didn't arbitrarily load my character at a subd level 5

If you save your work in progress with a manually specified lower or higher SubD than the default supposed by Genesis 8.1 or your Character, the scene will re-load with the same SubD you manually specified. Nothing's happening arbitrary.

P.S : cmon, always save (even better incrementally) before rendering ;)

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Well one reason more to not update Daz for now, I'm happily working on the 4.15. Also I've made that mistake of not saving a lot of times. Now I have an OCD and need to save with every change I made on the scene Lol.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

Well one reason more to not update Daz for now

What reason ? I'm on the latest version of Daz, and -- to take up the subject of your first post -- Genesis 8.1 works perfectly well and loads at SubD 2 (against SubD 1 for Genesis8), which was annouced with the release of 8.1. The meaning of my answer is : all works fine so it works fine for any other user.
    I'm not sure all of a sudden that my explanations were clear enough? :)

Now I have an OCD and need to save with every change

Nah. Saving incrementaly at regular intervals ain't an OCD. It's a proof of (3D) wisdom   ٩(◕‿◕)۶

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Causam3DCausam3D Posts: 207

hansolocambo said:

I think there was a thread on this a few weeks ago.

Maybe this thread I guess ? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/580416/character-loading-with-high-subd-level

Genesis 8.1 female character will load into the file with a Render SubD level 5.

If I load a Genesis 8.1 Female (or Male) with only the Starter essentials Library in Content Directory Manager to be sure nothing interferes, Genesis 8.1 loads this way by default :

SubDivision Level : 2

Render SubD Level : 3

If your character loads at SubD 5, that's probably because instead of loading the Genesis 8.1 default and applying morphs manually by sliding head and body morphs from some character, you loaded a Character from its icon that's usually located in ..\People\Genesis 8\Characters

If the content creator has decided to save the character's .duf with a SubD 5, then this value will override the one set by Daz3D for its Genesis 8.1 by default.

make SURE that 4.20 didn't arbitrarily load my character at a subd level 5

If you save your work in progress with a manually specified lower or higher SubD than the default supposed by Genesis 8.1 or your Character, the scene will re-load with the same SubD you manually specified. Nothing's happening arbitrary.

P.S : cmon, always save (even better incrementally) before rendering ;)

Thanks for pointing me at that thread, I'll definitely go through it and pay particular attention to what Haseltine suggests.  That's always solid advice in my experience.

These are my characters.  It's important not just because it is needlessly annoying to me, I need to figure it out because I have a lot of customers who have purchased them, and I'd like to have a handle on this before the G9 upgrade.

The characters are saved at "normal" subd values.  I have subsets of them for my use in product renders with hair and etc and those also are saved at "normal" subd values.  When loading either a character or a subset of my making, they load at "normal" subd values.  If I load a previously saved subset or a scene with one of these characters in it, either as just the character (Actor) or the subset containing this Actor, it loads at SubD level 5.  Not normal in other words.  

Yes, training myself to save for fear of having forgotten this little hiccup in the "free" software is an option.  So is training your dog to flinch whenever you go to pet it by beating it regularly.  Seriously, what on earth can you be thinking by bringing that up?  Yes, it would work.  NO I shouldn't have to worry about it.  It's a bug in the software.  It's the developer's responsibility to address it.

Thanks everyone, hopefully I get this straightened out.  I'll report back on what happens.