Render Emitter setting not being respected when looking through glass

So I've got a bit of an issue. I've setup a spotlight in my scene as a rectangle, I have Render Emitter set to OFF and as long as I'm doing the scene within the building it is fine but if I try to setup an exterior shot looking in through glass the emitter still appears as a black rectangle even though render emitter is set to off. Is there any kind of workaround or some reason this is happening?

I've included screenshots so one is same render but inside the building, no settings or nothing changed with the spotlight then next render is just a camera outside looking in through glass and you see the black rectangle appear floating next to the stairs

issue1.png
1920 x 1080 - 2M
issue2.png
1920 x 1080 - 2M

Comments

• This is expected - the Render Emitter option affects only direct rays - if the path passes through another surface then the emitter will be seen.

• Render twice, once with the glass, once with the glass hidden.

Layer the two images, the glass image on a layer above the hidden glass image.

Selectively erase where the emitter is visible, letting the hidden glass image come through.

This will allow you to have the "look through the glass" visuals and hide the emitter.

• Jason Galterio said:

Render twice, once with the glass, once with the glass hidden.

Selectively erase where the emitter is visible, letting the hidden glass image come through.

This will allow you to have the "look through the glass" visuals and hide the emitter.

Do I need photoshop to do this (don't have it) or are there any good free photoshop style softwares that can do this as well?

• Chloe_M said:

Jason Galterio said:

Render twice, once with the glass, once with the glass hidden.

Do I need photoshop to do this (don't have it) or are there any good free photoshop style softwares that can do this as well?

Anything that will handle layers - GIMP and, I assume, Krita would both work and are free.

• That's correct. GIMP should do it. As should just about any image editor.

Humble has a Painter bundle on sale right now that includes Painter, Paintshop Pro, and AfterShot. I'd be surprised if one of those doesn't have layer functionality too.

• Jason Galterio said:

That's correct. GIMP should do it. As should just about any image editor.

Humble has a Painter bundle on sale right now that includes Painter, Paintshop Pro, and AfterShot. I'd be surprised if one of those doesn't have layer functionality too.

Both painter and paintShop have layers, though Paint Shop is the image editor - Painter, while having many image editing features, is mainly set up as a natural media creation tool.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Jason Galterio said:

That's correct. GIMP should do it. As should just about any image editor.

Both painter and paintShop have layers, though Paint Shop is the image editor - Painter, while having many image editing features, is mainly set up as a natural media creation tool.

Ah, thanks. I don't want to steer someone towards buying something that wouldn't do what they need.

I've had Painter for a while and I have been meaning to break out my drawing tablet, but something else always comes up.