Horo's TE-filters

adbcadbc Posts: 3,115

Great stuff, but I cannot make it to work.

I export the terrain image as TIFF, once I import the image in TE-Filter program I get an error : "tag 258 issue not 16bit"

Tried to convert with Paintshop pro, Image < increase color depth, save it and still it's not right, no 16 bit ! There I must have done something wrong !

@Horo : You probably have the answer, so please tell me how to convert the image in 16bit correctly.

Thanks.

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,296

The TE-Filters program only reads 16 bit TIFFs and if it's not a 16-bit TIFF, you get the tag 258 error.

Bryce usually exports a terrain as 16 bit (greyscale) TIFF but sometimes as 24 bit (colour) TIFF. I worked for 6 weeks on the program and exported uncounted terrains for testing. However, when I prepared the video that comes with the filter and was exporting the 16 1024 terrains, the first three were 16 bit, and the rest 24 bit for unknown reasons. No matter what I did, the TE exported 24 bit.

I mention this random behaviour on page 19 in the doc. What helped me and two others that also experienced this, was to import "A02_AntiErosion.tif" and export it with another name. Then, Bryce exported again as 16 bit. This is the reason why I added that file to the product.

I've spent hours to get this error again in the hope to find what's causing it. But no, it always works correctly.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,115

Thanks, that's clear.

I thought I did something wrong in converting the files. 

That's right Bryce exports as 16 bit, for a while. 

For whatever reason it did not continue to do it, so I thought that perhaps manually converting would help, it did not work with PSP.

Every time that it happens again (it might be that it occurs if in some scenes I imported an image in the TE, that was not TIF but another format) I'll reload the "A02_AntiErosion.tif".

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,296

Thanks for reporting back. What I've also observed is that terrains stored in and retrieved from the objects library do not always export correctly - though there's probably seldom any need to export and filter them.