Saving Layered Image

Hello all,

Anyway, what I want to do is place "decals" on a model. I use the layered image, this way I don't have too many textures each having its own texture. An example would be tattoo products. The problem I have is that when saving as Layered Image(s) Preset, all it does is add additional layered images. I was hoping it would save the state of the layered image. If I have a model and I have two decals, A and B. If I apply image A over the texture and save it, it works fine. If I apply it again, it adds image A again, giving me two layered images. I was hoping that the application would remove any layered image with the one I saved. Sounds confusing but the save just seems to keep the actual image and not the state of the layered image editor.

Comments

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

so you don't mean 'decals'? Decals are not the same as using the Layered Image Editor. AFIK if you use a preset it will add the layers you've told it to. It won't decide if that layer already exists. Is that what you're talking about?

• Yes, I place a layered texture over the base material and save it as a layered image preset. I remove that layered image and place a new one and save as a preset. So if load the preset for the first one the image shows up. If I load the second one, it will be right over the place of the previous. I was hoping that it would replace, not overlap.

• I guess the user would have to reload the default material and then decide which layered image to place on the model. I have seen some tattoo products where that is the issue.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

Saving a LIE image is intended to be saved on top of an image, as you mentioned e.g. for a tattoo, so you can add it to the texture of choise.

If you intend to reuse the same base texture with the same LIE, I would suggest to save it in an image editing program, and then use that as the base image. You could then save that as a material preset.

• Hoplite490 said:

I guess the user would have to reload the default material and then decide which layered image to place on the model. I have seen some tattoo products where that is the issue.

If you hold down the cmd(Mac)/ctrl(Win) key when double-clicking the preset you will get an options dialogue that will help.

Daz Studio 4.20.1.65 (the current Public Build is later than that)) adds the ability to specify a post-load script from within the preset save options dialog. That will then run after the preset is applied to provide additional processing. See http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_20_1_65 .