Installing separate version of DS on external SSD hard drive?

I'm having so many problems with DS crashing that I'm still on DS beta 4,14. I can use 4.15 for rendering G3 and earlier though, Is there a way to install DS 4.20 and future versions on an external SSD hard drive without screwing up my settings? I don't want to alter shaders and lights in the older versions and I see a lot of updates in DIM I'm concerned about downloading because I don't want to mess up my existing settings. I have created folders for users, programs, etc... and all my Adobe products work fine on the external drive. Is there a way to install DS 4.20 and all upgrades on the external drive without messing up what's on my C drive? Detailed instructions would be appreciated if this is possible. Thanks,

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

If you have two versions of the general release installed they will share some settings and common files (at least registry keys and files in appdata), installing on a separate drive won't change that.

The beta is setup to use different locations for the common files and keys from the general release, so having completely separate beta and general release is possible, but AFAIK it's not possible with two general releases or two betas.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,310

If you are serious about trying this, here's some info from earlier this year (this post and the ones that follow) - I have not tried it myself, so cannot vouch for it working without problems.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7269211/#Comment_7269211