PC Gaming and DAZ Studioing

My computer is on its last legs. Are there any suggestions for a PC tower that would be good for Daz Studio but also for gaming. I've never been more disinterested in forthcoming games, just ready to discover and rediscover games like Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption 2, and the trilogies Mass Effect and Witcher.

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910
    edited September 2022

really the only thing that separates a gaming computer and a 3D Rendering computer is the processor and RAM. Most gaming computers have a quad or 6 core processor today and graphics/3D computers have 6 core and up. Gaming PC's can function well with 8-16GB RAM and 3D Rendering needs 16 and up. Yes you can do this stuff with only 8GB of RAM but you will waste a lot of time. Both are GPU intense so get as much as you can. There are some really good sites that you can b uild your own system so play around with different specs and see if you can come up with something you like. I've used 2 companioes to build my computers. https://www.originpc.com/ and https://www.avadirect.com/. Both build great computers and have very good CS and warranties if needed. Never had a problem with the dozen computers that we've had build with both companies. All of them still ran great when retired when they couldn't be updated anymore.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

For DazStudio one needs a supported Nvidia GPU with as much VRAM as one can afford and three times as much RAM, minimum 8GB's VRAM and 32GB's RAM, preferably 12GB's or more VRAM and 64GB's or more RAM.

When one gets a big enough PSU, the rest is pretty much up to personal preference.

• Wait for G9/V9 and the new RTX 4090 cards to come out - Sometime in October.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-one-week-price-change-sept-23

• I had the same dilemma & ended up going with an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-core 3.80GHz with 128Gb RAM. The boost clock for this particular CPU is more than good enough for gaming unless you're "redline gaming" and trying to push extreme FPS & overclocks. My build also has a Lenovo RTX A6000 for rendering and an EVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin for the primary display/gaming. I can also use both the A6000 & 3090 together in Daz to help further speed up iray renders.

If you ever plan on getting a 4090 or a graphics card of a similar size, make sure you get a motherboard that has properly spaced slots because that card takes up 4 slots due to its ridiculous size. Or maybe get a workstation card(RTX A5000 depending on your needs) in conjuncction with a 4070 card(for gaming).

• I have a cooler master storm breaker. Very big, it can fit my 3090, my specs are 64GB of Ram and I've had a 5930k 2011v3 processor and I could play games on my 1080ti and Render on the 3090 with no issues. I used to play at 4k 60fps. I could even do both at the same time.

• Bat22Bat22 Posts: 45

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and technical knowledge. I'll be revisiting them as I narrow down a brand and input customization.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

frank0314 said:

I've used 2 companioes to build my computers. https://www.originpc.com/ and https://www.avadirect.com/. Both build great computers and have very good CS and warranties if needed. 

Corridor Digital recommends them, and I want to support local businesses, so check out Puget Systems. Niko from Corridor hasn't said why, but did say "we switched from Origin for a reason".

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited September 2022

really the only thing that separates a gaming computer and a 3D Rendering computer is the processor and RAM

Nope. For a 3D modeler working in real-time 3D, both computers gaming or 3D can be the same. Sure.

BUT for 3D rendering, now that even pre-calculated 3D is accelerated, the only thing that separates both kind of computers is the VRAM.

You can get the best CPU in the world, if you have an 8GB graphic card, you'll be able to play all games (not in 8K). But you won't be able to GPU render anything much more complex than a 2 or 3 characters scene.

Best nowadays value (for Daz) remains a 3090 RTX 24GB of VRAM. "Affordable". Or of course a 4090 RTX 24GB for those who can afford that.

As for the CPU, I'd strongly advise going for i9. Even though the difference with i7 doesn't seem huge. For 64x multi-core operations it's definitely a must. Not all of Daz is multi-threaded, but for any multi-threaded operation (Marvelous, Blender, ZBrush !, and even Daz) you wanna go for i9.

i9-12900KF + 3090 RTX 24GB + 32GB DDR5 (CL36, 5600MHz) + mobo DDR5. And you get an excellent rig that'll last a few years and cost around 3000 bucks (without screens, keyboards/mouse, hard drives, speakers). There's a HUGE ! difference between online shops. So choose wisely. On a 3000 bucks config you can end up with 800 more bucks to pay on some stores for exactly the same PC parts. And the big ones (amazong, etc.) are faaaar from being the cheapest.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

hansolocambo said:

really the only thing that separates a gaming computer and a 3D Rendering computer is the processor and RAM

Nope. For a 3D modeler working in real-time 3D, both computers gaming or 3D can be the same. Sure.

BUT for 3D rendering, now that even pre-calculated 3D is accelerated, the only thing that separates both kind of computers is the VRAM.

You can get the best CPU in the world, if you have an 8GB graphic card, you'll be able to play all games (not in 8K). But you won't be able to GPU render anything much more complex than a 2 or 3 characters scene.

Best nowadays value (for Daz) remains a 3090 RTX 24GB of VRAM. "Affordable". Or of course a 4090 RTX 24GB for those who can afford that.

As for the CPU, I'd strongly advise going for i9. Even though the difference with i7 doesn't seem huge. For 64x multi-core operations it's definitely a must. Not all of Daz is multi-threaded, but for any multi-threaded operation (Marvelous, Blender, ZBrush !, and even Daz) you wanna go for i9.

i9-12900KF + 3090 RTX 24GB + 32GB DDR5 (CL36, 5600MHz) + mobo DDR5. And you get an excellent rig that'll last a few years and cost around 3000 bucks (without screens, keyboards/mouse, hard drives, speakers). There's a HUGE ! difference between online shops. So choose wisely. On a 3000 bucks config you can end up with 800 more bucks to pay on some stores for exactly the same PC parts. And the big ones (amazong, etc.) are faaaar from being the cheapest.

Make that 64GB's and then it's fine wink