Lighting on an imported OBJ

Hey complete noob here, so I've figured out how to import a OBJ into Daz 3D using Blender first so that's all good but I can't seem to figure out the lighting. So lets say the OBJ I'm using is a Saloon Bar.  The external of the bar looks great, all lit up but the interior is dark and the lights within Daz 3D don't seem to be affecting the model. Is there anyway to get them to work or maybe light the scene before you bring it in?

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited September 2022

Light is a confusing word in 3D apps.

In Daz you have : Camera headlamp. (Edit :) Environment HDRIs. You also have Daz lights (Spot Light, Point Light, Distant Light, etc.) which I personally never use. And you have any object in the scene that has one of its Surfaces with an emission color set to anything else than Black, then this object becomes a source of light.

One way to light the inside of your bar scene : Select Surfaces of actual light bulb objects (if you have that in the bar). And go to their material in the Surfaces Tab. Change Emission color to let's say white. Doing so will unhide multiple Surface Sliders that'll enable you to control temperature of the light, instensity and so on. (Emission Temperature, Luminance, etc.). Raising the luminance on those light emissive objects will lit the bar.

If there are windows what you could also do is create a large plane primitive and place it outside the room. Set an emissive color and luminance also for that plane and it'll slowly fill the room with light.

To make an inside look "natural", it's often better (just my opinion) to use objects + emissive rather than actual "lights" proposed by 3D apps. Rendering time will be a bit longer because your own objects emitting light are not optimized the way Daz lights are. But they'll create a more natural feeling. Be patient for the render : rays bouncing will take time to provide enough light to even the darkest corners of the room.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

hansolocambo said:

Light is a confusing word in 3D apps.

In Daz you have : Camera headlamp. You also have Daz lights (Spot Light, Point Light, Distant Light, etc.) which I personally never use. And you have any object in the scene that has one of its Surfaces with an emission color set to anything else than Black, then this object becomes a source of light.

You forgot about HDRIs.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited September 2022
    You forgot about HDRIs.

Darn indeed ! That will teach me to answer questions at 5am instead of sleeping ;)

Post edited by hansolocambo on