How to render/Iray preview Tenebris hair?

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-tenebris-hair-for-genesis-81-females

I've used other d-force hair where the preview needs to be ON and the Tesselation at 2 or 3, which I've done here, and those hairs work just fine. I don't know why this hair is different, it just doesn't show. Any pointers?

Comments

• I can probably link at least 2 more threads asking this with no answers blush

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

From the user guide included with the product:

I recommend using the Spot Render to preview the hair before doing your final renders. I do not use Iray Preview because it does not work if the hair is not on the scalp. In order to manipulate the ponytail he has a geometric cage for the Rig and for some reason the preview of Iray in the viewer is not affected.

• Gordig said:

From the user guide included with the product:

I recommend using the Spot Render to preview the hair before doing your final renders. I do not use Iray Preview because it does not work if the hair is not on the scalp. In order to manipulate the ponytail he has a geometric cage for the Rig and for some reason the preview of Iray in the viewer is not affected.

To clarify, I've read the manual too and have tried the suggested spot rendering. Still doesn't show up in that or full render. 

Shows up in a full render for me, so I don't know what to tell you.

• Gordig said:

Shows up in a full render for me, so I don't know what to tell you.

Okay, great. How do you do it? Load Hair > Render? Or do you touch the tessalations/Preview? Do you use the Iray Mats? I was trying to use a black colored one.

I loaded the hair onto a G8.1F, hit render, and it worked just fine. I applied one of the black materials to it, hit render, and that worked fine. I haven't experienced any problems rendering it.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

Which tool do you have selected? dForce hair won't render if you selected a tool which could modify the geometry the hair is based on, like geometry editor, joint editor or mesh grabber for example.

• Leana said:

Which tool do you have selected? dForce hair won't render if you selected a tool which could modify the geometry the hair is based on, like geometry editor, joint editor or mesh grabber for example.

That could be my problem, I'll have to try some more tests. I made sure I was on node selector, but maybe I need to reboot DS if I was using something like GE before in the scene. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,855
    edited September 2022

I simply reparent the Tenebris Hair to the Tenebris Scalp (instead of Tenebris Rig).

• The rig still works.
    • Turning on Preview PR Hairs shows the hair in Iray Preview.
    • The Hair renders fine. Watch out for high tessellation values; this hair is a resource hog at high tessellation. Tessellation 2 is all my computer can handle, and it is slow at that setting.
    • Spot render works fine; Preview PR Hairs is not needed for spot render or normal render.

Iray Preview with Preview PR Hairs  On

Spot Render with Preview PR Hairs Off

Normal Render with Preview PR Hairs Off

Screenshot 2022-09-19 095826.jpg
    1761 x 1244 - 389K
    Screenshot 2022-09-19 100242.jpg
    1757 x 1193 - 336K
    Tenebris Hair reparented to Tenebris Scalp Line Tessellation 2.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 641K
    Post edited by barbult on