Is it possible to align by local coordinates?

I'm trying to use the align tool to line up identical objects that are at a 45 degree angle. They are already mostly in the location I want them, side by side, but I want them to line up on their own Z axis, not the world Z axis. Is there a way to set the align tool so it works on local or object coordinates rather than world coordinates?

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

For universal tool in tool settings you can set it to local coordinates.

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 612

I have the universal tool set to local coordinates. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for the align tool. I just figured out a workaround though. I added the objects to a group and then rotated the group on the Y axis so that the local coordinates of the objects inside matched the world coordinates. That let me align the objects on the Z axis, and then I rotated the group back to zero on the Y axis.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

Couldn't you just have aligned the 2 objects to be identical, and then rotated one 45°

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 612

I'm matching up window blinds from one set to a different set, so I'm placing them by hand and making duplicates as I go. I noticed a positioning issue after already placing two of them at the 45 degree angle, so after fixing one on its own Z axis, I wanted the other one to line up next to it the same way. I should have just deleted the second one and duplicated the one I fixed first and moved the duplicate over lol. Oh well.