A lot of copies of an object?

Hey guys!

Is there a way to copy/duplicate an object a few thousand times with one click? Like making multiple instances with Create -> New Node Instances command?

Comments

• If you are making thousands of copies why not use instances which has an option to add the number?

• Because instances don’t have actual geometry and can’t use dForce.

I want to use dForce to make a realistic pile of coins that doesn’t look like a snow pile mesh with some kind of “coins” texture.

Yes, I realize this kind of dForce exercise would take a lot of time, but hey, realism requires suffering now and then :)

SofaCitizen said:

If you are making thousands of copies why not use instances which has an option to add the number?

• feldarzt said:

Because instances don’t have actual geometry and can’t use dForce.

I want to use dForce to make a realistic pile of coins that doesn’t look like a snow pile mesh with some kind of “coins” texture.

Yes, I realize this kind of dForce exercise would take a lot of time, but hey, realism requires suffering now and then :)

Ahh, I respect that.

I assume you've tried using something like Autumn Leaves and maybe applied a coin texture?

If not, you can apply a hotkey to duplicate and spam it to make loads of copies. Will take a while tho I guess. Perhaps making some duplicates and then putting them in a group and then using a hotkey for duplicate heirarchies to batch duplicate. That might work?

Failing that then perhaps scripting it.

• I’ve passed Autumn Leaves and SY dForce Confetti because I assumed they work with flat objects, while coins have some volume. Correct me if I’m wrong about AL and/or SYdC.

I thought of spamming the Duplicate command, but... yeah, that would take some physical effort. I don’t mind spending some time waiting for the PC to calculate the multiplication and such, but pressing a key, say, 3,000 times is not something I’d like :)

However, thanks for reminding me about groups. I’m gonna try that if no one hints me towards a simpler solution.

SofaCitizen said:

feldarzt said:

Because instances don’t have actual geometry and can’t use dForce.

Ahh, I respect that.

I assume you've tried using something like Autumn Leaves and maybe applied a coin texture?

If not, you can apply a hotkey to duplicate and spam it to make loads of copies. Will take a while tho I guess. Perhaps making some duplicates and then putting them in a group and then using a hotkey for duplicate heirarchies to batch duplicate. That might work?

Failing that then perhaps scripting it.

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,771
    edited September 2022

feldarzt said:

I’ve passed Autumn Leaves and SY dForce Confetti because I assumed they work with flat objects, while coins have some volume. Correct me if I’m wrong about AL and/or SYdC.

I thought of spamming the Duplicate command, but... yeah, that would take some physical effort. I don’t mind spending some time waiting for the PC to calculate the multiplication and such, but pressing a key, say, 3,000 times is not something I’d like :)

However, thanks for reminding me about groups. I’m gonna try that if no one hints me towards a simpler solution.

Autumn Leaves would be flat textures so I guess would not work if you needed a closeup. I don't have the other one since it did seem like it worked the same way but probably would be a similar deal.

I did have a look to see if Instancify could work in reverse but it can't. *

There is Send In The Clones DS4 which sounds like it can do 250 copies at a time and does have some coins in it's preview images.

*EDIT: Oh well there is Instances to Objects by the same author as Instancify.

Post edited by SofaCitizen on
  • That. Is. So. Cool!
    At least it seems to be.
    Definitely gonna try it. Thanks a lot!

SofaCitizen said:

*EDIT: Oh well there is
    Instances to Objects by the same author as Instancify.
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,191

You could use Ultrascatter or UltrascatterPro UltraScatterPro | Daz 3D

You could make a base pile and then just scatter some coins on the top. dForce can't handle volume, so you will have a hard time making a pile with dForce.