Scene Optimizer issues (kind of solved)

DefaultNameDefaultName Posts: 388

I used Scene Optimizer to try and reduce clutter on my scene. I started the script where it checked boxes of things that had high memory, and chose the option to remove displacement maps. After that, Daz3d started crashing. I tried isolating the problem and it's not working.

Now all my scenes crash Daz3d. Even old ones. I can't even use my base figures properly. When I try Iray preview on a base G8, Daz3d completely crashes. 

*Edit* - I think because I used this on G8s with geoshells it just messed up all my G8 scenes, as I later discovered my G3 figures never had a problem. After reinstalling G8 so far is has not crashed again, but I still don't know what the exact cause was to begin with.

Post edited by DefaultName on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,316
    edited September 2022

Scene Optimiser makes copies of the files it modifies, it doesn't touch the originals. That sounds more like an issue arising from chnaging the Viewport Drawstyle, a driver or system update, or even a possible hardware or system issue. Unfortuantely it is very hard to diagnose.

The files Scene Optimise Creates go to the temp filder, which by default is on the boot drive - it may be worth checking that isn't running out of space. You can move the temp folder in Edit>Preferences.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard Haseltine said:

Scene Optimiser makes copies of the files it modifies, it doesn't touch the originals. That sounds more like an issue arising from chnaging the Viewport Drawstyle, a driver or system update, or even a possible hardware or system issue. Unfortuantely it is very hard to diagnose.

The files Scene Optimise Creates go to the temp filder, which by default is on the boot drive - it may be worth checking that isn't running out of space. You can move the temp folder in Edit>Preferences.

I put SO's temp folder in My Library.

I ran SO on a scene with G8s. My G8 figures crash Daz3d now. My G3 figures however, do not. Currently I'm trying to test if I need to reinstall all my products from that scene, or if I can just uninstall SO.

I can't prove it's SO, but this all started immediately after I used it.

• DefaultName said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I put SO's temp folder in My Library.

I ran SO on a scene with G8s. My G8 figures crash Daz3d now. My G3 figures however, do not. Currently I'm trying to test if I need to reinstall all my products from that scene, or if I can just uninstall SO.

I can't prove it's SO, but this all started immediately after I used it.

Okay everything is fine again after I uninstalled SO and reinstalled G8 essentials. I suspect this happened because my G8s had geoshells and certain products, like Mesh Grabber, just don't work with geoshells. And somehow that got cached or something. 

• Well, I wouldn't put the temp folder in the actual content library - there is no reason to, and it risks file conflicts. You can certainly move it to a new location, though. Still, I'm pretty sure that it won't actually overwrite the main files as the names need to be distinct for DS to distinguish them.