New Release: Bringing Daz figures To Life in UE5

Comments

• hello, how to participate in the test

• dave_0aa47f5a80dave_0aa47f5a80 Posts: 68
    edited February 2023

DTL is finally ready for release, starting with a beta test phase.

Use of DTL is on a voluntary donation basis for individual users and companies with a gross turnover of less than $100,000 per year, $300 otherwise. One month of priority (email) support is offered for users who donate $100 or more. There is also a discord channel here: https://discord.gg/eZtaswUQZD

If you are interested, please see the instructions here before applying: http://virtuality.space/dtl

Note you will need the following to run the DTL conversion process:

~ A computer with ideally at least 64GB of RAM (conversion is possible on a machine with lower RAM, but processing times will be extrememly long)

~ Maya 2023 (Indie version of Maya available for around $300 here: https://makeanything.autodesk.com/maya-indie)

~ DazStudio

~ DazToUnreal Plugin

~ Unreal Engine 5.0 / 5.1

In principle, the licence terms are as follows:

All rights are reserved with the exception that a User can use the DTL tool to convert Daz characters for use in their own projects (subject to the terms set forth in the EULA). Specifically, the re-distribution, repurposing or reuse of the actual DTL system (or any part thereof) is not permitted. This includes any and all parameters defined in the scripts and configuration files. 

A custom licence has been produced and is available here: http://virtuality.space/dtl/dtl-end-user-license.html

Here is an overview of the conversion process:

Applications to be part of the beta test can be submitted via email. Please send an email with the following questions answered to dtl at virtuality.space

~ Are you using a PC or Mac? (I'm looking for someone very comfortable with Daz and Maya to manually install and test the scripts on Mac) 

~ Are you familiar and comfortable with using the current DazToUnreal plugin?

~ Are you familiar and comfortable opening and running a Python script in Maya?

~ Are you interested in a conversion process that takes anything from 30 minutes to 16 hours to complete? (depending on vertex count, computer RAM and quality of meshes)

Beta testers chosen for the trial will receive an email with a links to the following:

1. The DTL system: A download link for the Windows DTL system installer (for any Mac testers, a zip file and details of manual install locations will be made available)

2. The Unreal Engine DTL system demo projects: download links for the DTL demo projects (5.0 and 5.1)

We are limiting the number of participants in the beta program, so it is on a first come first serve basis.

I hope to hear from you soon!

- Dave

dtl at virtuality.space

Post edited by dave_0aa47f5a80 on
  • 1love.n.light1love.n.light Posts: 1
    edited February 2023

Post edited by 1love.n.light on
  • 1love.n.light said:

Hi there, I hope this message finds you well. So I sent through a donation but it did not ask me for my email to send the link? How would I proceed in this case? 

@1love.n.light - I've sent you a PM

• Hi there, I hope this message finds you well. So I sent through a donation but it did not ask me for my email to send the link? How would I proceed in this case? Will it be sent to my QQ email

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

i got a lot confuse by the prices

if i pay the 300 i don't need to pay nothing anymore?

if i donate each month until i reach the 300 value i still need to keep donating?

and also some rules

i really got a little confuse with the rules about how i can use it, i can use the converted model into a game right? with all morphs which i've exported??

what i can't do is like try to sell the plugin as mine or something like that right?, if i convert a character with it and add it to the game anything into this character is "legal" to use in the game right or have any restriction?

also my only complain without any doubt is the "maya" part, basically i have to pay a extra 300 buckets on top of the plugin price making it easy become a lot expensive if i don't already using maya.

• 463558102 said:

Hi there, I hope this message finds you well. So I sent through a donation but it did not ask me for my email to send the link? How would I proceed in this case? Will it be sent to my QQ email

I have shared the google drive with you - please let me know if you have any problems

• Ellessarr said:

i got a lot confuse by the prices

if i pay the 300 i don't need to pay nothing anymore?

if i donate each month until i reach the 300 value i still need to keep donating?

and also some rules

i really got a little confuse with the rules about how i can use it, i can use the converted model into a game right? with all morphs which i've exported??

what i can't do is like try to sell the plugin as mine or something like that right?, if i convert a character with it and add it to the game anything into this character is "legal" to use in the game right or have any restriction?

also my only complain without any doubt is the "maya" part, basically i have to pay a extra 300 buckets on top of the plugin price making it easy become a lot expensive if i don't already using maya.

Aplogies for the confusion.

If your company has a gross annual turnover of more than $100,000 per year, the license is $300 (commercial users) Commercial users will get priority (email) support.

If you are an individual using DTL for your personal projects, or your company has a gross annual turnover of less than $100,000 then DTL is available on a voluntary donation basis. No donation is required, but users donating $100 or more will get priority (email) support.

There is no subscription. The DTL license is perpetual and includes all updates until if / when there is a major version update (i.e. version 2)

The DTL converted characters, complete with morphs and any assets found in the demo projects can be used and distributed in your projects; movies, images, games, VR experiences etc. The only restriction in the DTL license agreement is that the end user is not able to extract or otherrwise export the character (Daz's licensing terms also apply to the converted character and have a similar restriction). Note also that the redistribution, reverse engineering or re-use of the actual DTL system itself or any part of it (e.g. re-using the JCM angles or joint orientations in another conversion system) is specifically not permitted under the terms of the license.

I used the Maya Python API as a platform for the conversion for two reasons:

1) The Maya API has some functionality that I needed that I could not find in the Blender API 

2) I am much more familiar with Maya than Blender

I hope this makes things a little more clear!

• "If you are an individual using DTL for your personal projects, or your company has a gross annual turnover of less than $100,000 then DTL is available on a voluntary donation basis. No donation is required, but users donating $100 or more will get priority (email) support."

This includes commercial use, right? If so, it might behoove you to phrase this a bit differently, say following something like  the Unreal Engine model. Something like " Free for commercial or personal use to registered individuals or companies whose annual gross income does not exceed $100,000, commercial  users  exceeding this amount must pay pay a $300 one time license fee which includes priority email support. . Voluntary donations are accepted, and free users donating $100 or more will receive priority email support."  Clarity is necessary in legal documents.

In the same jugular vein, language requiring the impossibility of user export of the characters from a game are requiring the impossible, making the system impossible to legaly use. It is ALWAYS possible for a determined hacker to extract any object from a game, legal language in licenses generally required a best effort to prevent this.because that's all you can do. "is not able" is scary language to a user who knows that he can be sued for not literally making extraction impossible.

Anyway, the terms you intend are very generous, I think, thanks for that!  I just think you might want to run this by an attorney who knows this field if you haven't done so. Good luck to you!

(I also think the Maya thing will greatly restrict the number of users, I think you would profit more by tackiing the Blender use issue or using something  other more accessable to the throng of cheap users and attaching a small fee to what now will be free users, but I understand not wanting to spend a ton more time on it)

• delectro_9f6dc82a97 said:

"If you are an individual using DTL for your personal projects, or your company has a gross annual turnover of less than $100,000 then DTL is available on a voluntary donation basis. No donation is required, but users donating $100 or more will get priority (email) support."

This includes commercial use, right? If so, it might behoove you to phrase this a bit differently, say following something like  the Unreal Engine model. Something like " Free for commercial or personal use to registered individuals or companies whose annual gross income does not exceed $100,000, commercial  users  exceeding this amount must pay pay a $300 one time license fee which includes priority email support. . Voluntary donations are accepted, and free users donating $100 or more will receive priority email support."  Clarity is necessary in legal documents.

Yes, a company with an annual turnover of less than 100k can use DTL for commercial use. Donations are voluntary, but priority support is only offered for dontations of > $100.

In the same jugular vein, language requiring the impossibility of user export of the characters from a game are requiring the impossible, making the system impossible to legaly use. It is ALWAYS possible for a determined hacker to extract any object from a game, legal language in licenses generally required a best effort to prevent this.because that's all you can do. "is not able" is scary language to a user who knows that he can be sued for not literally making extraction impossible.

Fair point - I'll look at adding the terms "reasonable steps" or "best efforts" to parts of the EULA in the next update.

Anyway, the terms you intend are very generous, I think, thanks for that!  I just think you might want to run this by an attorney who knows this field if you haven't done so. Good luck to you!

(I also think the Maya thing will greatly restrict the number of users, I think you would profit more by tackiing the Blender use issue or using something  other more accessable to the throng of cheap users and attaching a small fee to what now will be free users, but I understand not wanting to spend a ton more time on it)

I'm not familiar with the Blender Python API at all and I'm not sure it has the required functionality to do the DTL conversion process in the same way. In Indie license (~$300) and trail versions of Maya are available - I've put links up here: http://virtuality.space/dtl/index.html#software

Ultimately, DTL is a part of a larger project I'm working on. Once I'd finally got the Daz figure conversions to a point where the figures are usable as avatars in the VR meeting app I'm developing, I thought it'd be good to share, as I know there's a lot of people out there working on Daz figure conversion.

• delectro_9f6dc82a97 said:

"If you are an individual using DTL for your personal projects, or your company has a gross annual turnover of less than $100,000 then DTL is available on a voluntary donation basis. No donation is required, but users donating $100 or more will get priority (email) support."

Yes, a company with an annual turnover of less than 100k can use DTL for commercial use. Donations are voluntary, but priority support is only offered for dontations of > $100.

Fair point - I'll look at adding the terms "reasonable steps" or "best efforts" to parts of the EULA in the next update.

I'm not familiar with the Blender Python API at all and I'm not sure it has the required functionality to do the DTL conversion process in the same way. In Indie license (~$300) and trail versions of Maya are available - I've put links up here: http://virtuality.space/dtl/index.html#software

Ultimately, DTL is a part of a larger project I'm working on. Once I'd finally got the Daz figure conversions to a point where the figures are usable as avatars in the VR meeting app I'm developing, I thought it'd be good to share, as I know there's a lot of people out there working on Daz figure conversion.

• It works great!
    Does this script need to be purchased? How can i get this script?

• catmastercatmaster Posts: 226
    edited February 2023

~ A computer with ideally at least 64GB of RAM (conversion is possible on a machine with lower RAM, but processing times will be extrememly long)

~ Maya 2023 (Indie version of Maya available for around $300 here: https://makeanything.autodesk.com/maya-indie)

I'd try it after my game is released so I could get the money to upgrade to the required hardware and software.

Once I get Maya 2023 then I could also try ML Deformer, are there any other advantages if using DTL compared with using ML Deformer?

Post edited by catmaster on
  • I have donated but it did not ask me for my email to send the link too? How would I proceed?

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited February 2023

Hi, I just looked over your product. Since the conversion process takes place in Maya, I want to verify that it will produce a Maya-compatible rig (with no controls) that can stay in Maya to be animated, right?

Post edited by drzap on
  • 306646922 said:

It works great!
    Does this script need to be purchased? How can i get this script?

Please see my post at the top of page 4 of this thread

• catmaster said:

I'd try it after my game is released so I could get the money to upgrade to the required hardware and software.

Once I get Maya 2023 then I could also try ML Deformer, are there any other advantages if using DTL compared with using ML Deformer?

The end result of DTL and the ML Deformer solution are similar; they both give great muscle deformation in realtime. The ML deformer looks very promising. I'm in the process of checking it out to see which is more performant. From talking to other developers, ML Deformer tech is still quite early and a little tricky to work with.

• rhennaok said:

I have donated but it did not ask me for my email to send the link too? How would I proceed?

I think we talked in the Discord channel and we got you up and running no? If not drop me a message in Discord (link to Discord in post at top of page 4)

• drzap said:

Hi, I just looked over your product. Since the conversion process takes place in Maya, I want to verify that it will produce a Maya-compatible rig (with no controls) that can stay in Maya to be animated, right?

We have already talked in the Discord, but I thought I'd answer here for other people's info:

The answer is yes, once the conversion process completes, you have a fully functional, converted Daz figure in Maya ready for further editing. It can also be exported (via fbx) to Blender and comes through with no issues and all morphs / JCMs intact and working as expected.

• Hi Dave,

I tried to run the script in MAYA today, but an error occurred:

Starting DTL version 1.9 at 2023/03/21 20:56:48

Source path set to C:/Users/barthes/Documents/DTU

Config path set to C:\Users\barthes\Documents/DTU/

Opening C:/Users/barthes/Documents/DTU/DTL/DTL.dtu

General exception thrown during conversion process: 'gbk' codec can't decode byte 0xa2 in position 315963: illegal multibyte sequence

DTL conversion process did not complete. Started at 2023/03/21 20:56:48 and exited at 2023/03/21 20:56:51 after running for 0.05416666666666667 minutes

I think the problem is due to the UTF-8 encoding format on my computer, so I edited every sentence with open(filename,"r"), adding encoding='utf-8' after "r".

However, I still got the error. Can you help me fix it?

Much appreciated !

• 1187361061 said:

Hi Dave,

I tried to run the script in MAYA today, but an error occurred:

Starting DTL version 1.9 at 2023/03/21 20:56:48

Source path set to C:/Users/barthes/Documents/DTU

Config path set to C:\Users\barthes\Documents/DTU/

Opening C:/Users/barthes/Documents/DTU/DTL/DTL.dtu

General exception thrown during conversion process: 'gbk' codec can't decode byte 0xa2 in position 315963: illegal multibyte sequence

DTL conversion process did not complete. Started at 2023/03/21 20:56:48 and exited at 2023/03/21 20:56:51 after running for 0.05416666666666667 minutes

I think the problem is due to the UTF-8 encoding format on my computer, so I edited every sentence with open(filename,"r"), adding encoding='utf-8' after "r".

However, I still got the error. Can you help me fix it?

Much appreciated !

Already solved by changing encoding format in txt editor. 

• zhihengzhiheng Posts: 10

About when will the official version be released?

• Indie version of Maya available for around $300 here

Well that's a pity.  There's no way I'm paying $300 a year to Autodesk.  I think some kind of blender script would have been wiser.

• I think this is very useful,and interested in getting a try on this,how can a get it?

• zhiheng said:

About when will the official version be released?

Apologies for the delayed reply. I'm not sure on the final releasee date, as I'm still implementing new features (G9 support, transfer of morphs with bone length changes, ability to export single items of clothing / hair etc). At a rough guess, one or two months...

• Pickle Renderer said:

Indie version of Maya available for around $300 here

Well that's a pity.  There's no way I'm paying $300 a year to Autodesk.  I think some kind of blender script would have been wiser.

There is a trial version of Maya available if you wanted to check DTL out. Blender would have been ideal as you say, but it doesn't seem to support all of the scripting functionality required for the DTL conversion process

• 360043475 said:

I think this is very useful,and interested in getting a try on this,how can a get it?

Please see my post near the top of page 4 of this forum thread

• Not sure if this has been asked before but, have you thought about creating a Maya plugin with your technology? Since your script uses Maya as a bridge between Daz and Unreal, it would be great if we could just stay in Maya, get the rig converted to HumanIK and the materials converted to Arnold or Vray.

The official bridge has so many issues and the development speed seems really slow, so this could be a great alternative to it since it looks like you have most of those issues solved already.

• peterpeter said:

Not sure if this has been asked before but, have you thought about creating a Maya plugin with your technology? Since your script uses Maya as a bridge between Daz and Unreal, it would be great if we could just stay in Maya, get the rig converted to HumanIK and the materials converted to Arnold or Vray.

The official bridge has so many issues and the development speed seems really slow, so this could be a great alternative to it since it looks like you have most of those issues solved already.

I did consider porting my code to C++ and making a plugin, but it's simply too time consuming. I'd rather spend my time working on new features for DTL; G9 support, morph-driven bone transforms and of course integration with UE's Machine Learning functionality form the current roadmap...

• dave_0aa47f5a80dave_0aa47f5a80 Posts: 68
    edited April 2023

catmaster said:

Bone Driven Controller node in Unreal is bugged because it doesn't support linear mapping from bone rotation angle range e.g. 0-90 to morph target alpha e.g. 0-1, its settings always make non-linear results with or without using curves. DTU bridge fixed the C++ code of this node and made the Daz Morph Driver node which is used in Genesis8JCMPostProcess. The bridge and other plugins can't be used in UE5.1 preview as UE5.1 preview can't compile the C++ classes it creates.

Pose Driver node is more complex, hopefully this node isn't bugged. Would DTL plugin use the vanilla Pose Driver node, or create additional engine plugin with modified source?

The UE sample project for DTL beta contains an animation post process blueprint with pre-configured vanilla posedriver nodes that drive the DTL custom JCMs. It's all set up and runs 'out of the box' once a user has converted and imported their DTL converted figure. It works fine in 5.0 and 5.1, but I've not tested in 5.2 yet.

Avoiding having to recompile any C++ was one of the primary requirements for DTL. DTL was designed to make the creation of high quality, animation friendly characters with a complete suite of JCMs and other selected morphs as friction free and user friendly as possible.

Once converted and imported into the UE sample project, the user can simply populate the character's AnimBP PP,  Physics Asset, Control Rigs and Retagetting Rig using the preconfigured assets that are supplied with the project. The user can then chose which materials to apply; the 'standard' ones created by the DazToUnreal plugin, the supplied DTL ones (textures must be added manually) or third party ones from the UE marketplace. It takes a matter of minutes.

There is a step-by-step guide to importing DTL converted figures into UE here:

https://virtuality.space/dtl/dtl-unreal-engine-project.html

It's also worth noting that in general, issues with mapping bone rotation ranges are hugely reduced by DTL. This is because DTL re-orients all the joints to exactly match those of the standard UE skeleton. This is why, for example, converting one of the standard Epic UE control rigs for use by a DTL character can be done in moments without any need to 'tweak' anything.

Post edited by dave_0aa47f5a80 on