More weird Daz issue makes product unuseable

windli3356windli3356 Posts: 230

So one day, my daz menu just decide to change itself, when I restarted it, all my contents weren't displaying, it tells me I lost connection while my internet was 100% functional, then I managed to fix it via a PC restart, little did I know it became a nightmare

After the restart, I found half of my props products that used to have bones, rigs and morphs no longer have bones/morphs, for example this JP Doris Curtain used to able to bend, support 10+ morph shape, and now it's just a bland plane I can't do anything with, no option to morph what so ever even after I mannually added the bones, this screenshot shows no morph option after my last restart.  

another prime example would be FPE tentacle armies, it used to have bones and support multiply riging slider bars and now, all gone.  I even looked up on product's documentation, premade bones and rigs was added by default, I can not add them back, so just like that, half of my products became useless over night.  Anyone ever encountered this and got a fix? 

broken.png
2463 x 1628 - 714K
Post edited by windli3356 on

Comments

• Is the Content Management System working - entries in Smart Content, Presets tabs, Categories and Products in the Content Library pane?

• Richard Haseltine said:

Is the Content Management System working - entries in Smart Content, Presets tabs, Categories and Products in the Content Library pane?

Yes, everything else working fine, and funny enough, it didn't mess the entire content libray, some works as they use to, it ruined 25%-30% stuffs from my library

• All I can suggest is trying to reinstall one or two of the items and see if they then work - but I have no idea what might cause this.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

windli3356 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Is the Content Management System working - entries in Smart Content, Presets tabs, Categories and Products in the Content Library pane?

Yes, everything else working fine, and funny enough, it didn't mess the entire content libray, some works as they use to, it ruined 25%-30% stuffs from my library

Haw are you installing your content, DAZ Central, DAZ Install manager (DIM), manually or do you install the content inside DAZ Studio, using DAZ Connect?

Do you log in to DAZ Studio?

Where is your content installed? (Show us the paths in Content Directory Manager, all of them like in the second attachment)

PathToContDirMan.jpg
    564 x 532 - 51K
    ContDirMan.jpg
    384 x 240 - 11K

All I can suggest is trying to reinstall one or two of the items and see if they then work - but I have no idea what might cause this.

I reinstalled Daz and put all my contents to another driver, that solved the problem, took me a whole 2 days to reinstall all my stuff. i'm pretty sure Daz's postgresql caused all this, it mess up users local enviorment often, before all morph disappear on these products, I got a "log in error' saying my postgresql wasn't linked. by the time I logged in, that's when things starting getting messy.   Daz should really leave their users local enviorment alone.  

• PerttiA said:

windli3356 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Haw are you installing your content, DAZ Central, DAZ Install manager (DIM), manually or do you install the content inside DAZ Studio, using DAZ Connect?

Do you log in to DAZ Studio?

Where is your content installed? (Show us the paths in Content Directory Manager, all of them like in the second attachment)

I install my content via manual install, install manager and smart content manager, I did making sure all my content directory is set to the correct drive/folder, but sad thing is, Daz don't always allocate contents to your selected directory. 

All my content path is set on my G drive on both Daz studio, and Daz smart content manager, but after a few weeks Daz went back and targeting at my C drive exclusively regardless of my directory selection.

The only way trusted way I can get content installed to the correct loction is via manual file moving.

• windli3356 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

All I can suggest is trying to reinstall one or two of the items and see if they then work - but I have no idea what might cause this.

I reinstalled Daz and put all my contents to another driver, that solved the problem, took me a whole 2 days to reinstall all my stuff. i'm pretty sure Daz's postgresql caused all this, it mess up users local enviorment often, before all morph disappear on these products, I got a "log in error' saying my postgresql wasn't linked. by the time I logged in, that's when things starting getting messy.   Daz should really leave their users local enviorment alone.  

I doubt the presence or absence of PostghreSQL would affect morphs or joints - except that if morph packs were installed through daz Studio itself (Connect). But joints and geometry are part of the same package so it would not really be possible to have one without the other due to a missing database connection.

It is simply not true that PostgreSQL "meses up users['] local environment" though ti is true that having Daz Studio work online can lead to downloading bad metadata if it gets uploaded in error (it can also fix the issue once the error is corrected).

Using a mix of installation methods can lead to problems, though again I am not sure how it could allow the geometry to load but not the rigging.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

windli3356 said:

I install my content via manual install, install manager and smart content manager, I did making sure all my content directory is set to the correct drive/folder, but sad thing is, Daz don't always allocate contents to your selected directory. 

If you install your content with DIM and manual installation, do not log in to DS, set your startup options as in the attachment.

Logging in to DS is only necessary, when one chooses to use DAZ connect inside DS (in 'smart' content) to install stuff, and then DAZ Connect uses a different path for the installations and overrides content installed by all the other means, even in cases where DAZ Connect installed stuff is corrupted (happens quite often)

StartUp.jpg
    522 x 244 - 14K

windli3356 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I doubt the presence or absence of PostghreSQL would affect morphs or joints - except that if morph packs were installed through daz Studio itself (Connect). But joints and geometry are part of the same package so it would not really be possible to have one without the other due to a missing database connection.

It is simply not true that PostgreSQL "meses up users['] local environment" though ti is true that having Daz Studio work online can lead to downloading bad metadata if it gets uploaded in error (it can also fix the issue once the error is corrected).

Using a mix of installation methods can lead to problems, though again I am not sure how it could allow the geometry to load but not the rigging.

I was saying, right before all this disaster started I got this "can't connect to postgresql" error poped out and than when I log back in after a restart, things don't work the same anymore, I only install 5% of my content(content from 3rd party outside of daz store) thro manual file moving, that's the saftest/cleanest way of installation, why would that cause problem since none of these content even sycned to daz metadata?  

None of those broken product installed thro DIM or manual file moving 

I am not sure how it could allow the geometry to load but not the rigging.

This is for Daz team to know, us to find out, again, it won't even happen if Daz don't "auto merge metadata" randomly to mess with users' self established enviroment.   

• PerttiA said:

windli3356 said:

If you install your content with DIM and manual installation, do not log in to DS, set your startup options as in the attachment.

Logging in to DS is only necessary, when one chooses to use DAZ connect inside DS (in 'smart' content) to install stuff, and then DAZ Connect uses a different path for the installations and overrides content installed by all the other means, even in cases where DAZ Connect installed stuff is corrupted (happens quite often)

Thanks, I will use this method if I got daz to work again, even tho I can work with content liberay, but I developed a habit of using smart content to install and load everything because I started using daz in 2020, without knowing anything about daz and its software structure back then.  

But after this incident, my confident in this app and Daz team went whole lot lower