Resolved:Can't create a Custom Action on certain files

paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,315

As a result of an overnight Windows update reboot corrupting my Daz workspace (discussed in another post) I lost all of my saved custom actions. Having resolved the original problem, I set out to recreate them. While doing this, I have run into things that will not create custom actions in Scripts (or Favorites). However, I had custom actions for them that worked fine yesterday. 

One thing I do often is run the Shaping script for Face Transfer Shapes for Genesis 8 --> Face Transfer Fix 75%. There's a different one for genesis 8 male and female. Until the middle of last night, I had a perfectly functional custom action saved for each of these two objects. Now, when I right-click and choose Create Custom Action, I can go through the motions of creating the script, but it does not report back the confirmation message that the custom action was created, and it does not get created. Here's additional relevant info: There is no error in the log. The actual object, when run directly from Smart Content, works fine. I have tried every reasonable variation: I've tried creating them in a folder under both Scripts and Favorites; I've tried creating them in different folders within Scripts and Favorites; I've tried with the default name and a renamed name. I've tried multiple of this product's items, with the same results. Yet, the custom action I had created previously was working as of last night when I used it, so there's nothing inherent to the object preventing this use.

I don't know yet if Face Transfer Shapes is literally the only product affected. I've had no problem creating custom actions for assorted other utilities and products; it's the only one I've run into so far. 

I updated to Daz 4.20 back in April, and these custom action scripts had all been added since then, so Daz (major) version is not a factor.

Ideas anyone?

Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on

Comments

• So the actions ar gone-gone, not listed in Window>Workspace>Customise, rather than still actions but no longer in a menu?

• Yep, they were entirely gone. However, just in recent moments, I have figured out the problem I was experiencing. I do software support IRL and was a little suspicious early on, but didn't fully put together a workaround until just now. It appears that I was having trouble creating a custom action for this specific object because the file name contained a %. The literal name of the .duf file was FTS Apply Fix 75%.duf, and it had a .png and tip.png to go with it. What I did was copy these files and rename them something similar, without the %, leaving the originals untouched. I then located the new files in Content Library (after refreshing) and created custom actions from them. With the custom action now finally created, I confirmed that it works as expected. It also left the original files as seen in Smart Content, as they originally were.

So if anyone runs across this thread in the future while experiencing the same problem, look for non alpha-numeric characters in the file name.

• paulawp (marahzen) said:

Yep, they were entirely gone. However, just in recent moments, I have figured out the problem I was experiencing. I do software support IRL and was a little suspicious early on, but didn't fully put together a workaround until just now. It appears that I was having trouble creating a custom action for this specific object because the file name contained a %. The literal name of the .duf file was FTS Apply Fix 75%.duf, and it had a .png and tip.png to go with it. What I did was copy these files and rename them something similar, without the %, leaving the originals untouched. I then located the new files in Content Library (after refreshing) and created custom actions from them. With the custom action now finally created, I confirmed that it works as expected. It also left the original files as seen in Smart Content, as they originally were.

So if anyone runs across this thread in the future while experiencing the same problem, look for non alpha-numeric characters in the file name.

Please report this a a possible bug,

• Richard Haseltine said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Yep, they were entirely gone. However, just in recent moments, I have figured out the problem I was experiencing. I do software support IRL and was a little suspicious early on, but didn't fully put together a workaround until just now. It appears that I was having trouble creating a custom action for this specific object because the file name contained a %. The literal name of the .duf file was FTS Apply Fix 75%.duf, and it had a .png and tip.png to go with it. What I did was copy these files and rename them something similar, without the %, leaving the originals untouched. I then located the new files in Content Library (after refreshing) and created custom actions from them. With the custom action now finally created, I confirmed that it works as expected. It also left the original files as seen in Smart Content, as they originally were.

Please report this a a possible bug,

Done. What's weird is that I previously had custom actions under Scripts for these. (I had one each for GM8 and GF8, at a default 75% for quick fixing.) So either I had worked through this in the past and didn't remember doing so - which is possible, as I take notes on things when I learn them, but I don't have notes on everything - or it literally cropped up as a bug in a recent release of 4.20.

• Well, there has been work on the URI-handling though I thought that was for the DSON (JSON) files only, not the .dsx (XML) files used for layout settings.