Elbow Deformed Problem! (Rigging? JMCs? HELP!)

Thank you for reading - I'm a noice and frustrated. Spent forever working on this character and I'm having problems with joints. I'm getting weird deformations (mostly in arms/shoulders) when I pose the figure). 

For example, first picture below is the figure posed without any morphs --> No problem!

In the second picture I applied the morph and get this weird squish in the bicept at the elbow joint. 

Troubleshooting thus far: I have done "adjust rigging to shape", ERC Freeze, Save Morph.... no help. When I edit the joints by hand, I can fix the problem but--and please don't think me lazy--I don't want to have to hand edit the joints everytime I repose the figure!

Any suggestions? Thanks again!

Base (Fine) Screenshot 2022-09-13 111710.jpg
897 x 886 - 96K
Morph (Problem) Screenshot 2022-09-13 111806.jpg
895 x 884 - 95K

Comments

• Which morphs are you applying?

• Richard Haseltine said:

Which morphs are you applying?

A ton of different ones. I combined them into a single slider by exporting the morph as an object and loading it through morph loader pro. I then adjusted rigging, erc freeze, and saved morph. 

please let me know if I missed something or if you have any ideas. Cheers!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,855
    By combining the morphs into one, you eliminated all the joint control morphs (JCMs) that went along with those individual morphs to adjust the mesh for joint rotations. Instead, you should create a new property and ERC freeze all the individual morphs to the new single controller.
  • barbult said:

By combining the morphs into one, you eliminated all the joint control morphs (JCMs) that went along with those individual morphs to adjust the mesh for joint rotations. Instead, you should create a new property and ERC freeze all the individual morphs to the new single controller.

i did (see my response to Richard above)

• Faust011235 said:

barbult said:

No, your reply to me is what barbult was commenting on - exporting to OBJ and reloading creates a single new morph without any links to corrections, setting the morphs separately, creating a new property, and using ERC Freeze to make that new property drive the morphs preserves all of the correctives but still gives a single-slder control for the shape.

Faust011235 said:

barbult said:

No, your reply to me is what barbult was commenting on - exporting to OBJ and reloading creates a single new morph without any links to corrections, setting the morphs separately, creating a new property, and using ERC Freeze to make that new property drive the morphs preserves all of the correctives but still gives a single-slder control for the shape.

im sorry. I didn't understand the distinction. Could you direct me to a walk through or instructions on how to do that? 

• So I did as you suggested (Followed: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/566066/creating-a-single-slider-for-multiple-existing-morphs) But I still had the same problem. Any thoughts??

MorphSlide (Same Problem) Screenshot 2022-09-16 092210.jpg
    835 x 732 - 36K
    NoMorph No Problem Screenshot 2022-09-16 092241.jpg
    909 x 738 - 38K
  • Do any of the individual morphs you are using do that? Most likely it is a corrective morph/joint adjustment kicking in when it shouldn't.

Do any of the individual morphs you are using do that? Most likely it is a corrective morph/joint adjustment kicking in when it shouldn't.

Thanks again Richard for following up! This one has so many different morphs, from different packages. Some are upper body morphs. Some are just arms, shoulders, etc. so how do I determine if or which one is doing it? Just toggle each one until it fixes itself?

• Faust011235 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Do any of the individual morphs you are using do that? Most likely it is a corrective morph/joint adjustment kicking in when it shouldn't.

Thanks again Richard for following up! This one has so many different morphs, from different packages. Some are upper body morphs. Some are just arms, shoulders, etc. so how do I determine if or which one is doing it? Just toggle each one until it fixes itself?

I'd try saving a copy of the character scene, to make sure you don't overwrite the original, then plod down the Parameters or Shaping pane alt (Win)/opt (Mac) clicking each active slider in turn to zero it until the issue goes away (or all morphs are zeroed). Once you have a prime suspect, reopen the original and see if zeroing that shape fixes the issue there and/or try using the morph on a fresh character with the pose applied and see if the issue reappears.

• I believe I had resolved the issue. The problem was with a full body morph I had been using as a base. Whoever converted it from a G2 shape did a bad job with the arms. So I used shape splitter and saved the torso and leg morphs and combined those with the other morphs separately. Convoluted, but got me what I want. Thank you, both

P.S. Because I am running an old slow computer, I usually try to reduce excess... hence the exporting as an obj to create a single morph. Would that still not be advisable?