What do I need to use The Girl 4 in Daz Studio 4?

Octavia MoonOctavia Moon Posts: 45
edited December 1969 in New Users

The topic says it all, really...I have been using Poser for about 6 months and recently fell in love with The Girl so I purchased a starter bundle. However I am a bit enarmoured of the power of Daz Studio and the V5 & M5 figures so I have persuaded someone to buy me the Pro Model bundles for both - taking advantage of the sales :)

What I need to know is what will I need, in addition to V5 & M5?

I can load V4 & M4 plus all the Morphs into Daz.

I am a little unclear what Genesis is exactly (sorry I might sound like a proper thicko)?

Do I need the Genesis Morph pack to be able to use the V & M4 morphs in Daz Studio 4?

Do I need the Girl and Freak for Genesis to use the Girl 4 I have?

Also - when I look at the body sliders in Daz Studio there seems to be limits on them - they will only jack (for instance) the boobs up so far....so is there something else I need (a Genesis character for instance?) in order to take full advantage of the capabilities of this brilliant piece of software...

Sorry for all the questions....but, after a few hours of playing I think I'm a convert :)

Many Thanks

OM

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

To find out about Genesis, look here : http://www.daz3d.com/products/genesis/genesis-what-is-genesis/

Genesis is a brand new figure, and does not need any other figures to use it. It comes free with DS4P, and there are some morphs with it, but there are others available to buy as well.

The Girl 4 is a morph of Victoria 4, and all of the Generation 4 figures can be used inside DS4P, this includes V4 and M4, and all of their morphs. For some of the characters that are based on V4 and M4, you may need the Morphs++ morph pack for each model, but you can still use th base version.

V5 and M5 are morphs of Genesis.

The limits on the sliders can be removed easily if needed in the Parameters tab.

Does that help any?

• Octavia MoonOctavia Moon Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

Jimmy,

Thank you for your speedy response and yes it does help a LOT!!!

I did read all the stuff on the link you posted - to a complete novice, though it does lean towards telling you what it does but not what it is - to me anyway.

Ok then - I am off to load up my Girl and play with Daz...

If there is any utility or morph pack you'd recommend for me to get the full benefits of the DS I would be happy to listen...

Cheers

OM

edited December 1969

If you are intending to use the Gen 4 stuff, like Victoria 4, then I would recommend the Morphs++ pack for V4, it adds a lot of extra functionality to the figure.

If you intend to go with Geneisi, I would buy the Evolution head and body morphs. Make sure that you look at the bundles in the sale, some of them work out a lot cheaper.

edited December 1969

Well...I stayed up until about I am and made a decent looking Girl figure...I can't tell you how impressed I am with Daz Studio (I sound like a frigging infomercial)....

I opted for the Head and Body Morphs you recommended and a Girl & Freak for Genesis....so with those it certainly does everything (and more) that my Poser did...

Am now looking for some cheap or Free everyday, normal clothing for Genesis so any help with that would be great....:)

Will all the props and scenery I have loaded in Poser work in DS...and do I have to re-install it all to DS or can I 'point' DS to recognise my Poser runtime? If so how?

Thank you so much for all the help...it's saving me hours of misery and googling :)

OM

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I have lots of Free normal clothing for Genesis over on ShareCG which you may be interested in. See link in my signature:-)

edited December 1969

Well...I stayed up until about I am and made a decent looking Girl figure...I can't tell you how impressed I am with Daz Studio (I sound like a frigging infomercial)....

I opted for the Head and Body Morphs you recommended and a Girl & Freak for Genesis....so with those it certainly does everything (and more) that my Poser did...

Am now looking for some cheap or Free everyday, normal clothing for Genesis so any help with that would be great....:)

Will all the props and scenery I have loaded in Poser work in DS...and do I have to re-install it all to DS or can I 'point' DS to recognise my Poser runtime? If so how?

Thank you so much for all the help...it's saving me hours of misery and googling :)

OM

Yes, wilmap's stuff is spot on, and ShareCG is a great source for Poser and DAZ Studio content for all generations of figures. The other thing to remember is the Autofit tool. It can be used to fit V4 and M4 clothing onto Genesis, and it normally works very well for most things, so you are not restricted to Genesis clothing (even for Genesis).

The quick way to add a Poser runtime to your DS4P installation, is to go to the Content Library tab, select Poser Formats, right-click, and select 'Add a Runtime Directory'. You will then get the standard box to find the folder. Make sure that you enter the folder which 'HOLDS' the runtime folder, and not the runtime folder itself, exit from DS4P, and on restart, it should all be there.

The longer way is to go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, and add any new folders there. It will also show you what is already listed.

Hope that helps for now?

edited December 1969

Thanks for all the help...and Wilmap...have downloaded a lot of your brilliant Genesis clothes...

With zips for poser I would use extract files and point to the Poserpro 2012 folder in My docs...

I tried the same thing with the zips I downloaded but pointing to My Library in the DS folder in My Documents but found all the files sitting just inside it (a right mess). I then found that many of them have content files zipped inside them....

So....do I need to manually install all the files or is there a quick and easy way to do it or is drag and drop the only way to do it...???

If drag and drop IS the best or only way...where do the Dynamic Clothing folders go because I can't find them...???

Does anyone know of a reference guide to which folders go where?

Yes I have Autofit - and Pokeaway so hopefully I'm all set....

Thank you all so much for your help

Octavia

edited December 1969

What ZIP are you having bother with, and maybe I can take a look at it for you.

If the ZIP file does not contain the correct folders, then it is a case of trying to find out there the original creator meant them to go, not always easy. The should have their own folders inside the zip to be of any use really.

If there is a folder called Content, then that is the old name (DS3) for the My Library folder (DS4). Any easy way would be to unzip into a Temp folder, change the name from Content to My Library, and then drop it into the folder which holds My Library, then it will merge (suuming you are on a PC). Otherwise, you will have to move the folders from content into My Library yourself.

edited December 1969

Hey Jimmy....

That helps, thank you. I down loaded from CGShare and Optitex (??)....so yes, some have the old Content Folder.

What I am doing now is to unzip into a temp folder and then merging so it sounds like I'm on the right track...

Cheers

OM