Opening Layout gone after upgrading to 4.5 (RESOLVED)

GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
edited August 2012 in New Users

I downloaded and installed DAZ 3D Studio 4.5, upgrading DAZ 3D Studio 4.0. The installation uninstalled 4.0, as it should, installed 4.5, and I installed the Genesis Starter Essentials that came with 4.5. I let everything install to the default location, which I did with 4.0 Pro; as I did with the previous inception of DAZ 3D Studio.

Now comes the mystery. When I now open DAZ the bare figure of Genesis is not displayed, neither is anything in the metadata side or anything in the Content Library. The Dragon is missing, and its bits. I had Creating Fiery Genesis, it's gone, or missing. All of the background for creating the dragon scene is AWOL.

I say it's a mystery because when I upgraded to the free DAZ 3D Studio 4 Pro, everything was fine when I opened this version of DAZ for the first time. And when installed, I let everything install to default settings.

I've check my HD and Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf has disappeared; which is the base Genesis figure that is displayed when DAZ is opened. I have found my other files but don't know how to redirect DAZ to use them at their current location--which is where they were before upgrading to 4.5.

Anyone have any ideas how to clear up this mess?

Edit: In my last post I tell how I discovered, quite by accident, how to fix the blank icon for Genesis Starter Essentials in the Smart Content window.

Post edited by GussNemo on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

If you go to Edit > Preferences >Content Library > Content Directory Manager, is the path to the content correct?

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

The path is correct for Michael and Victoria, and a few other things I installed. But there is no content--let me underscore this--no content, at all on my computer, for the Genesis base figure. Or, everything else that comes with a DAZ 3D Studio installation. I also made sure Content Manager Service was running.

I've searched my HD and the only thing I can find for Genesis are the data files for my previous made figures. The Subdragon, Genesis base, Magus, Journeyer Scout, all of the preloaded bits and pieces for DAZ are gone.

This never happened with the previous upgrades I did for DAZ. Somehow, upgrading to 4.5 has deleted all the bits and pieces that were not supposed to be deleted per the installation instructions.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Sounds like the Genesis Starter Essentials didn't install properly. Can you run it again and make sure the install path is correct?

edited August 2012

Sure, I'll let you know how it went.

Edit: Ok, reinstalled Genesis Starter Essentials, and started to see what should be there. But, and this one I love, I couldn't see anything, or much of anything, in Smart Content until I read another thread on here where a person was having the same problem.

So I followed your suggestion to that person and my metadata started showing up. Except, the icons for Genesis and Genesis Starter Essentials are blank, are yellowed, boxed with dashed lines and have an exclaimation point in the icon window.. I know this means something but it's been to long and I don't remember how to correct it.

Other than two icons not displaying properly, everything is displaying.

Post edited by GussNemo on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited August 2012

ah,,, you can just reset your DB, from content Library option.

first you stop cms and run cms better, from windows start menu.
    daz 3d>daz contents management service.

then restart ds,

right click content library tab> content DB meintenance>
    then reset database , and re import meta data.

I met same problems and correct, after that.

and if you from top menu, File new, you saw erroer message,

check topmenu> Edit preferences.
    then open start up, pane

you can find " Load file", maybe it remain old dsf path, so you correct it to duf path by browse.
    and check scene pane, if it remain old dsf path, you correct it as duf path.

I think someone can not open new scene. because old path for dsf remain.

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Kit, but the icons for Genesis Starter Essentials, Genesis are still blank with a yellow border. Double clicking on Starter Essentials will display those items under Starter Essentials, so that part is working. And Genesis.duf is in the Load File under Startup in preference.

It's not that the icons in Smart Content aren't working, just not displayed properly.

edited December 1969

check this topic, if it can may help you. about same missing icons of genesis starter essentials.

so can you use another files ?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5903/

and if only two icons of genesis starter essentials and, genesis products missing,
    in smart content products, it may not so much problems. (but not good I understand)

right click products icon in smart contents ,nof FIles, products (now it seems lost the image)
    and go to product view.
    can you find other files icon wihtout Animation?

(I think file name of products icon image has mistaken or, setting of detabase, or
    you need reimport metadata again,,I can get buck the image after them)

edited December 1969

OK now I find how to correct it.

I tryed change db setting, and now i can get buck no image products ^^;
    so I correct it again.

1.go content library , then products> G > Genesis startar essentials

2. from content library option, open content DB editor.
    then product pane, (not Assets) , see support, check off the "Auto Fill"
    then check path "/Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_14812_Genesis_Starter_Essentials.dsx"
    if it is wrong , you need to locate the path, by click right button .

3 must click "accept"

4 "refresh" on smart content pane.

if you can not find the product icon still,

content libarry option, open content DB meintenance again
    and import the meta data of "genesis essential "

I think db "auto fill" option has problem,,

dbeditor.JPG
    707 x 590 - 71K
    edited December 1969

Sorry Kit, what you suggested didn't work. However...

I went back and forth looking at other items(?) and how they were set up in the Content DB Editor. I noticed one item that had several support files and some of those were .jpg files. So that got me wondering if maybe the .jpg file for Genesis Starter Essentials shouldn't be included in the File section under Support. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

After I discovered that right clicking in the File area brought up a choice box, I selected Add Support File(s), was taken to my HD and went to the folder containing the Genesis Starter Essentials .jpg file. I selected the file, opened it, which put it in the File window, accepted that, and the blank icon of Genesis Starter Essentials in the Smart Content window changed to a filled icon. Problem, or blank icon, corrected.

While the blank icon for Genesis Starter Essentials didn't keep the contents from being displayed, it was just irritating to see one icon blank.

edited December 1969

I am so sorry, it is irritating I know.

I think you know, in smart contents " products" means gather many items(files) and make one product gruoup
    (it looks like category)

but, they do not have real one folda for each products. after installed products,
    many items(files) of the products are installed each where they should be.

but CMS can recognize these files as one group by meta-data. and we can see it as one products in smart-contents
    "products" pane.

about "genesis starter essencials", you can find meta-data files in (my library) >runtime>support
    as you know.

then there are three files, these three files are one set for one products.
    they should have same names for one products.

DAZ_3D_14812_Genesis_Starter_Essentials.dsa
    DAZ_3D_14812_Genesis_Starter_Essentials.dsx
    DAZ_3D_14812_Genesis_Starter_Essentials.jpg

last jpg file is icon file which you can see the products icon in smart content tab (products)

if there are not these files, you need reinstall.

as for me, after I can not find product icon in smart content,
    I overwrote jpg "file name" to confirmi same file name as dsa.

I have experienced sometiems products image for meta-data installed with different name image.
    just lose "_" or, they forget "daz_3d" apply name.
    so image name was different from dsa, dsx, cms can not find the img for products.

now you can see "genesis starter Essentials" with no image in smart content view.

I think that means cms can find DAZ_3D_14812_Genesis_Starter_Essentials.dsx.
    so if you have same product name image files in runtime>support folda
    you can see it usually.

edited December 1969

The three files you listed, Kit, are installed and are in the folders you mentioned. So reinstallation isn't necessary.

What I discovered was a missing file in the File window under Support in the Content DB Editor. Comparing other Content DB Editor contents for other Products with the Genesis Starter Essentials, I discoverd those that showed up in Smart Content, with a correctly displayed icon, had an .jpg file listed in the File window under Support.

I decided to try and include the DAZ_3D_14812_Genesis_Starter_Essentials.jpg file to see what would happen. I wasn't worried nothing would happen because nothing was working so far. Once I Added a File, the one mentioned above, and accepted it, the blank icon of Genesis Starter Essentials changed to a properly displayed icon.

I don't know whether or not adding the above mentioned file to the File window under Support was the correct way to fix the icon in Smart Content. But since other Products icon displaying in Smart Content had similar .jpg files, I feel certain what I did was correct.