Dark Objects

So I hope I'm in the right spot. I've found a number of ways to make a specific object into a light source, like a sword that's supposed to glow like a light bulb. For one of my renders, though, I'm wanting to do the opposite; I need an object that absorbs light like a black hole, so that everything around it looks darker. If there a way to do this? I primarily use 3Delight, but I can use Iray if that's the only way to accomplish this.

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,378

If you don't mind iRay, https://www.daz3d.com/dark-matter-shaders has the coolest black shader!

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2022

notaperegrine_5d4feec43b said:

So I hope I'm in the right spot. I've found a number of ways to make a specific object into a light source, like a sword that's supposed to glow like a light bulb. For one of my renders, though, I'm wanting to do the opposite; I need an object that absorbs light like a black hole, so that everything around it looks darker. If there a way to do this? I primarily use 3Delight, but I can use Iray if that's the only way to accomplish this.

Try a spotlight with negative light intensity!  You need to turn limits off in parameters settings. [3DL]

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • In iRay a negative emissivity works. Make the colour white and it darkens everything. Make at a colour and you darken and tint. Regards, Richard
    edited September 2022

richardandtracy said:

In iRay a negative emissivity works. Make the colour white and it darkens everything. Make at a colour and you darken and tint. Regards, Richard

It works in 3Delight too, will post some renders... 

...ok, an emissive lightplane as ceiling light, UE2 in bounce/GI mode, a sphere with a dz default surface:

,,,with the sphere made emissive (physical falloff on):

...with negative diffuse- ambient- and lightstrength:

...and, as suggested by @richardandtracy, white emissive color and pure black diffuse- ambient color, negative lightstrength:

In 3Delight one could play with light falloff, shadow color and whatnot, to get a result that has absolutely nothing to do with PBR:)) The last render, if using no falloff, would be pitch black.

UberArea bounce GI.png
    800 x 450 - 457K
    UberArea bounce GI emissive sphere.png
    800 x 450 - 476K
    UberArea bounce GI emissive sphere neg.png
    800 x 450 - 507K
    UberArea bounce GI emissive sphere neg white.png
    800 x 450 - 383K
    edited September 2022

And, of course, forgot to mention negative occlusionwink

negative occlusion.png
    800 x 450 - 385K
  • Really cool stuff.  I always enjoy your posts but many times fail to comment and tell you!  Thank you.