Geometry Editor Tool with duplicate objects?

I'm trying to use the geomtry editor on the 22 Parker Road house to remove a wall in the original object and then hide most of a copy of it so I can move a wall with a doorframe and door into the hidden wall, but it seems like the geomerty tool is really confused, and sort of seems to treat them like the same object yet also different (like hiding a region in one seems to affect the other). Is there a way to make this work?

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,192
    edited September 2022

In essence no - duplicate object is the same object duplicted, and therefore all the same, except transformations.

You can export the object and reimport, and then it will be its own instance that you can modify.

Post edited by felis on
  • To be clear, I loaded the same prop twice from smart content. So not an instance. Wouldn't that be that same as exporting and importing it?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,317
    edited September 2022

argel1200 said:

To be clear, I loaded the same prop twice from smart content. So not an instance. Wouldn't that be that same as exporting and importing it?

No, it is still pointing to the same asset file so DS will use that and then aply any modifiers (such as morphs or joints) on top. You must break the link to the original asset if you wish to edit one separately from the other.

If the set is a figure (I can't recall, but you coudl turn it into one via Edit>Object>Rigging if not) then use the Joint Editor tool to add a bone, then select the wall you want to hide with the Geometry Editor, right-click>Geometry Assignment>Create Group from Selected, and fianlly switch back to the Joint Editor and in Tool settings make that new group the bone's selection group. Now hiding the bone in one of the houses will hide the wall without affecting the other house.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited September 2022

You could also load an asset X. Select the geometry you want to hide. Delete it instead. Save that as a Figure/Prop Asset(s). Delete.

Load your asset X again in the scene. Then load its modified version that you just saved. You now have two different assets.

Or you could use this new script that seems promissing for people who don't want to use Blender to do this kind of editing :

https://www.daz3d.com/environment-set-splitter

It separates only objects that are not linked together (welded vertices). So it might not work for all your needs. But it will sure help.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Thanks for the help everyone! Excellent explanation Richard!