Unselectable Clothing Items

I've run into this problem with a few clothing items, where I cannot select specific items in the viewport despite the fact that 'Selectable In Viewport' is on.  Usually I can contend with selecting objects in scene view, but now I can't do any geometry editing to these boots that deform poorly with Phenotypes.

How can I fix this?

Unselectable Boots.png
1015 x 688 - 250K

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,436
    edited September 2022

Conforming clothing items normally cannot be selected in the viewport anyway (when fit to a character), but even these cannot be selected in the viewport when they are alone in the scene. Still, the geometry editor works on them, if that is what you want to use. Same for Push Modifiers, D-Formers, Mesh Grabber...

Before you do that, what do the feet actually look like under the shoes? Could be a morph or two distorting the feet. Does other footwear do the same sort of thing?

Post edited by NorthOf45 on
  • Right-click will usually offer the top-most fitted item and the base figure.

Richard Haseltine said:

Right-click will usually offer the top-most fitted item and the base figure.

Ah, right, forgot about that, but it doesn't work on any piece of this outfit, not just the shoes... 

• The actual foot is the part highlighted yellow in the image.  The 3FootTall morph in Phenotypes seems to have this effect on any footwear that extends past the ankle, but not very far up the shin.  There 'bump' on the foot isn't quite noticeable on the bare feet, but certain boots will bulge upward at the top of the foot, as if there were some large deformity growing there.  Outside of "Foot Thickness," I don't have any morphs that could combat this.

Nice to see that the geometry editor works for scene-selected objects.  I think I was just too used to having to right click and select the figure in the viewport whenever using the geometry editor tool.

Now I'm just curious why there are some products containing articles that can't be selected in viewport, even amid items within the same product that can.  The Adventure Knight coat springs to mind.  I'e seen it happen with hair, too (this one, I think, allowed you to select the lleft tail but not the right one).

There are likely hidden morphs that get transferred automatically. In the Parameters tab, click on the context menu or right-click the tab itself and select "Preferences->Show Hidden Properties". Select the boot, and the "Currently Used" in the parameters tab. You should see one or more active morph dials that you should be able to adjust, but they might throw off the position. YMMV...

• Already have hidden properties shown.  The only morphs used by the boot are 3FootTall and Cartoon Face Length (Don't know why, but it doesn't change anything).

Phenotypes is meant to provide character shaping options that affect the Scale properties for each body part, instead of applying target morphs.  That's supposed to allow (nearly) all outfits to work when you use a morph like 3FoootTall, but I seem to be running into every exceptio (boots, coats, capes, dForce objects that hang off clothing).  Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked.  The topic at hand is about the objects that refuse to be acknowledged when working in the viewport.  I'd really like to know what's going on with these, and if there's a way of 'fixing' them.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited September 2022

Fix items not selectable in the viewport :

- Scene Tab : Select non selectable object's bone called : Hip.

- Tool Settings Tab > Active Tool > Joint Editor

- Selection Group will be "None" (that's why it can't be selected). Click on the drop down menu and choose a selection group.

Now it'll be selectable in the viewport.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Thanks a ton!  I had searched a few times prior, and was only finding "Make sure Selectable (in viewport) ios on" answers. They weren't wrong, in those cases, but sometimes you're left guessing what exact terms you should be using in order to find a solution to a problem you already don't quite understand.

This will help me with a lot more than just the boots.

• greywolfgreywolf Posts: 35

hansolocambo said:

Fix items not selectable in the viewport :

- Scene Tab : Select non selectable object's bone called : Hip.

- Tool Settings Tab > Active Tool > Joint Editor

- Selection Group will be "None" (that's why it can't be selected). Click on the drop down menu and choose a selection group.

Now it'll be selectable in the viewport.

This is not helpful if 'Hip' does not exist... will any other joint suffice?

• FalcoFalco Posts: 240

I often switch to the surface selection tool in order to easily select objects.  I have it as a toolbar icon to make it easier to switch to it.