Improve dforce hair look? (jagged) -Solved

DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

Tips on improving dforce hairs look?  This is Lindays Classic Blowout hair and I don't know how to get it to not look jagged.  I have increased the subd to 4 and tried adding a smoothing modifier.  Neither seemed to help.  The modifier causes the hair to sink into the scalp on the top also.  I haven't really noticed it before but I think its more noticable because of lighting/background coloring.

hairtrouble.jpg
242 x 577 - 122K
Post edited by Daventaki on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,320
    edited September 2022

Have you checked the the resolution is set to high not base? If it is base then adjusting the number of divisions will do nothing.

The Smoothing Modifier adjusts the shape but dioesn't add geometry.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited September 2022

Not sure why this is happening ? At SubD 2 those (absolutely gorgeous) hair look less low poly than your screenshot, even if I zoom in quiet a lot. At SubD 4 they're definitely subdivided enough to look very smooth (16M polygons O.o ! 63M polys counting the 3 Geometry Shells...).

I'm clueless :/ All I can say is Linday's bundle works fine. Are you sure that you set View SubD Level AND Render SubD Level both at 2 ?

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624
    edited September 2022

So I will come back and verify when the render is done but I believe Richard is correct and here is why it happened. --Yes this was the case the hair was set to base.

Both the hair and outfit are dforce and to keep the hair from resimulating when i did the outfit (I used timeline for the hair)  I used Dforce2morph to save out a morph,  I believe that the process puts the mesh back to base and I did not catch this when I was looking at things to figure out the jaggies.  So I have deleted the hair and reloaded it, dialed in the morph and low and behold the jaggies are gone.  I had already started the render before I seen there were responses to this thread. 

Thank you both for your help!

Post edited by Daventaki on