Environment under Render Settings Solution Needed

After applying an HDRI to the scene, this creates an issue where it takes a bit of time to access the Environment setting due to Daz needing to display the small thumbnail of a 16k HDRI image. Is there some way to turn this off without turning it off for surface settings thumbnails? It really does unnecessarily eat up quite a bit of resources and dramatically increases the time it takes to go into the Environment tab.

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited September 2022

After applying a (16K) HDRI to the scene, this creates an issue where it takes a bit of time [...]

No kidding ? A 16k image is 15360 × 8640. That's quadruple the dimensions of a 4K hdri. Around 130 million 2D pixels projected on a 3D sphere. And you wonder why it takes time to load a thumbnail ?  O.o

[...] turning off surface settings thumbnails. It really does unnecessarily eat up quite a bit of resources

It's not the thumbnail that eats up resources... it's your 16K hdri. Let's not face apparent issues but rather get at the root of problems ;)

I don't know what kind of scene you're working on and what's gonna be the final dimension of your render, or if you even show the Dome in your final render, but 16K sounds a bit excessive innit ?

It would take a graphics card six times more powerful than a card capable of producing 4K graphics to manage properly 16k graphics. Do you have that ? Are you working on Avatar 2 ?

Size does matter mate, eventually. But does it, really ? I'd advise to scale it down to 4K. Your eye will barely see a difference, but your graphic card will thank you. And you'll be glad to have a few GB of VRAM left to load, on top of that thumbnail, a Genesis and some clothes.

Picturenaut

Picturenaut  might help you with that (Daffy Duck's cousin on his hen's side I heard, but this remains to be verified).

http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • magog_a4eb71abmagog_a4eb71ab Posts: 769
    edited September 2022

hansolocambo said:

After applying a (16K) HDRI to the scene, this creates an issue where it takes a bit of time [...]

No kidding ? A 16k image is 15360 × 8640. That's quadruple the dimensions of a 4K hdri. Around 130 million 2D pixels projected on a 3D sphere. And you wonder why it takes time to load a thumbnail ?  O.o

[...] turning off surface settings thumbnails. It really does unnecessarily eat up quite a bit of resources

It's not the thumbnail that eats up resources... it's your 16K hdri. Let's not face apparent issues but rather get at the root of problems ;)

I don't know what kind of scene you're working on and what's gonna be the final dimension of your render, or if you even show the Dome in your final render, but 16K sounds a bit excessive innit ?

It would take a graphics card six times more powerful than a card capable of producing 4K graphics to manage properly 16k graphics. Do you have that ? Are you working on Avatar 2 ?

Size does matter mate, eventually. But does it, really ? I'd advise to scale it down to 4K. Your eye will barely see a difference, but your graphic card will thank you. And you'll be glad to have a few GB of VRAM left to load, on top of that thumbnail, a Genesis and some clothes.

Picturenaut

Picturenaut  might help you with that (Daffy Duck's cousin on his hen's side I heard, but this remains to be verified).

http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/

I have an RTX A6000 as my primary render card, and I use an EVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin for my primary display. System is a Ryzen 3960X 24-core 3.8Ghz with 128Gb RAM. I have plenty of system resources. The issue is with Daz Studio's handling of HDRIs in the environment settings.

I think you might be misunderstanding. I do not use the auxillary viewport for iray previews & I work in Texture Shaded for the main Viewport. When I do a test render, it only takes a couple of minutes to render, depending on what I have in the scene,

The issue I'm referring to is, for example, go to Smart Content tab --> Render Settings --> Iray (or wherever you have your HDRIs) and double-click one that is 16k. After it loads, then go into your Environment tab. Note how long it takes to load the contents of the tab. It will do this every time you access the Environment tab, and leaving it up will eventually cause test renders to hang for short periods of time. I'm not understanding why this should be occuring simply due to the HDRI being 16k. I'm not rendering it when I'm going into the Environment settings to change something like environment intensity or to rotate the dome.

Btw, I'm using version 4.16 in Windows 10 Pro.

***Correction: After applying the 16k HDRI to the scene, go into Render Settings tab, and then click on Environment OR you can select it in the Scene tab to produce the same result.

Post edited by magog_a4eb71ab on