Light cones from spotlights

So I've been tinkering about with trying to simulate the light cones you get from spotlights in my renders.

I'm managed to get something decent enough that works pretty well with a single light but I have a problem that I've not been able to solve.

When I have two light cones which intersect, there's a wierd space that has no light.

I've attached a couple of pictures to illustrate.

I created the effect by using a standard spotlight and placing at the tip of a cone primitive which I messed wit hthe SSS settings to have the light scatter inside it.

I'm not particularly technical so any ideas would be really appreciated.

1.png
1000 x 1000 - 991K
2.png
1000 x 1000 - 822K

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited September 2022

which I messed wit hthe SSS settings

When you mess with something and end up having weird results, share an informative screenshot. In this case of the Surface tab settings. How can we know or guess what's going wrong if you don't show what you did to get there ? ;)

Maybe check how props like that are made : https://www.daz3d.com/epic-props-godrays-volumetric-light-for-iray

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Sorry yeah, should have put that info in. I've attached screenshots of all the surface settings of the cone.

1.JPG
    315 x 998 - 60K
    2.JPG
    314 x 990 - 57K
    3.JPG
    310 x 992 - 56K
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,588
    edited September 2022

Instead of Intersecting cone primitives, I would use a single cube enclosing the scene. Rely on the Spotlight Angle to make actual cones of light.

Post edited by prixat on