Geograft shape changed / distorted

Hi currently i'm working on creating a T-1000 Hand Geograft for Genesis 8, I guess i already know the basic of geografting since i successfully fit the geograph and the body, but now i face a new problem.

At first the tip of the Mesh are sharp (just like i want)

But when i tried to fit to another figure it loses it hard edges and the tip of the mesh are slightly smoothed out

My question is, is there any way to maintain the shape just the tip of that mesh ? 

I already tried to work with High Resolution and Base Resolution (both 0 subdivision level) while it worked fine no gaps or etc but whenever i fit it to another figure the shape are altered. I already use the rigidity tips too in here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/328121/how-to-prevent-part-of-a-geograft-following-figure-morphs but nothing seem to worked.

My guess is it has something to do with the subdivision level, when i try to fit with the Genesis 8 Figure with 2 & 3 Subd level (default) it started to get distorted / smoothed but when i fit it back to a Figure with 0 SubD level it looked like how it was supposed to be.

Thanks!

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,192
    edited August 2022

What you usually would do, is to bevel the edges you want to keep sharp, with a low value. Then when you subdivide (high resolution) you will only affect the edges ever so slightly.

By the way, I would suggest using quads instead of triangles.

Post edited by felis on
  • You could put the Geometry Editor tool in Edge mode, select the edges you want to stay sharp, and from the right-click menu set their weights to 100% (or close).

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited August 2022

+1 to that @felis

Triangles are a terrible choice for modeling. Even Marvelous Designer changed their mind about that and propose quad geometry. Triangles are better for simulation sure,  but a quad is nothing more than two triangles with an invisible edge after all.

I made this image a while ago. A quad topology reference that I always slide into PureRef to keep handy just in case. Manual retopology can be tricky.

You will sometimes have to close a wireframes with 1 triangle, or even use triangles on purpose on too complex geometries. But nonetheless, avoid at all cost that kind of objectively bad 100% triangulated toplogy. Triangles being a tenth of the issues I see in that wireframe anyway ;)

Post edited by hansolocambo on