[Solved] G8.1 Facial Morphs Failed to Install in DS4.20?

TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Before tech support or store credit, I'm hoping it's something obvious that I've overlooked.

Don't usually use powerpose, but for troubleshooting-- shouldn't I see more 'nodes' or click & drag points rather than fewer of them?

Additional G8.1 expressions seem really nice, but would be very time consuming.  "Does this one work?  No.  OK.  What about this one?"

I installed to DS4.20 via DIM version 1.4.0.80 if that helps.

SS_M8.png
1080 x 724 - 532K
SS_M8-1.png
1080 x 726 - 509K
SS_V8.png
1080 x 730 - 580K
SS_V8-1.png
1080 x 723 - 516K
Post edited by Tynkere on

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

If you want to use PowerPose with G8.1, you need to follow these instructions, because some of the dots are using G8 morphs that are disabled for G8.1 by default.

----------------

Making the G8 base expressions (and any expressions that are using them) work on G8.1 requires removing dummy/placeholder expressions that are installed to G8.1 morph folders - These dummy/placeholder expression files have no other function than to prevent the base G8 expressions from loading. 

The dummy/placeholder files are located in;

...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files, can be more if you have additional DAZ expression packs)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files, can be more if you have additional DAZ expression packs)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files, can be more if you have additional DAZ expression packs)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files, can be more if you have additional DAZ expression packs)

Please make sure you are removing the files from G8.1 morph folders and not G8 morph folders.

Note 1; If you are logging in to DS and letting DAZ Connect (within DS) to install/update your content, you may have these also in an other location that has "\Data\Cloud\" in it's path
    Note 2; Do not remove any files from "FACS" or "FACSExpressions" folders

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited August 2022

Odd they'd be disabled or whatever but I'm sure devs had a reason.  Renaming the folders and making empty ones (or just deleting contents) worked.  Thanks! yes

G8_1_After.png
    1080 x 498 - 419K
    Post edited by Tynkere on
  • avmorganavmorgan Posts: 216

I'm sort of curious about why the G8 expressions were disabled. For those who have re-enabled them, have you had any serious issues with using them?

• avmorgan said:

I'm sort of curious about why the G8 expressions were disabled. For those who have re-enabled them, have you had any serious issues with using them?

I would think a mixture of wanting to avoid confusing duplication and trying to keep a limit on the number of property links to process.

No explanation has been given, but when G8.1 was released the FACS rig was one of the major promotion ideas - Apparently someone thought, there would not be need for the old style expressions anymore, but didn't remember all the PA made expressions that were relying on the presense of the base expressions.

None whatsoever issues with the re-enabled expressions since the presence of the dummy files was found some 1.5 years ago.

Note: The dummy files are included in Genesis 8 starter essentials, so one must delete the dummy ones again after every update/re-installation of Genesis 8 starter essentials.

• Thanks. I held off on moving/deleting anything so far. I found more files present in those folders than 255 Base Pose Head and 24 Expression files, so I didn't want to delete some of the wrong ones. I assume I can get a list of the dummy morphs in the documentation for the starter pack? 

• Oh, I also wanted to ask if things like Pose Architect pose controls should be inherited by G8.1. I thought they were showing up, but I didn't find them on the charater I'm working on at the moment. Can they be inherited or transferred?

avmorgan said:

Thanks. I held off on moving/deleting anything so far. I found more files present in those folders than 255 Base Pose Head and 24 Expression files, so I didn't want to delete some of the wrong ones. I assume I can get a list of the dummy morphs in the documentation for the starter pack? 

If you have more files in those folders, it's because you have also installed other (DAZ) G8 expressions/facial morphs, which have their own dummy files.

If you want to play it safe, create a zip-file with all the files in those folders first before deleting them.

avmorgan said:

Oh, I also wanted to ask if things like Pose Architect pose controls should be inherited by G8.1. I thought they were showing up, but I didn't find them on the charater I'm working on at the moment. Can they be inherited or transferred?

Don't know about pose architect, but Power Pose controls for the G8.1 are also effected by the dummy files (fewer controls). Once the dummy files are removed, the controls are the same as for G8

• avmorgan said:

Thanks. I held off on moving/deleting anything so far. I found more files present in those folders than 255 Base Pose Head and 24 Expression files, so I didn't want to delete some of the wrong ones. I assume I can get a list of the dummy morphs in the documentation for the starter pack? 

If you have more files in those folders, it's because you have also installed other (DAZ) G8 expressions/facial morphs, which have their own dummy files.

If you want to play it safe, create a zip-file with all the files in those folders first before deleting them.

• avmorgan said:

Oh, I also wanted to ask if things like Pose Architect pose controls should be inherited by G8.1. I thought they were showing up, but I didn't find them on the charater I'm working on at the moment. Can they be inherited or transferred?

Don't know about pose architect, but Power Pose controls for the G8.1 are also effected by the dummy files (fewer controls). Once the dummy files are removed, the controls are the same as for G8

Thanks. I did an experiment, copying Pose Architect into my G8.1F morphs folder and they showed up on G8.1F when I loaded one, so that problem's solved. I did confirm that the Read Me for the Starter content lists the expressions and head poses (along with a zillion other things). I kind of thought added expressions from recent purchases accounted for the difference in number. I was going to move the lot into a separate folder with a different name as another person suggested to test things, when I've brought all my current projects to a close. A zip backup is just as good, so thanks for suggesting it.