Asset attribution in Publications

Do I have to list the assets used in a publication of images for a graphic novel?

If I do, and I am more than happy to do so, is there something from DAZ, or a third party, that would extract that information from my .duf files used to create the imagery?

Thanks.

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,773

You don't need to post attributions for 2D renders that use content purchased in the Daz Store. However, you'll need to check the licence/agreement for any assets from other sources, particularly free ones, as it may not be the case for them. You do see this in some areas like the gallery but that is more to help other people find the assets if they see them and want to use them in their own art.

As for extracting information from a scene I don't think so. There is an example script floating about somewhere but that doesn't seem to work for me so I have tended to do it by hand when I have done it.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,855
    edited August 2022

The script works pretty much. I writes results to the log file or shows them in the script IDE, if you run it from there. It doesn't catch everything, like poses, shaders, expressions.

Sample scripts

Post edited by barbult on

barbult said:

The script works pretty much. I writes results to the log file or shows them in the script IDE, if you run it from there. It doesn't catch everything, like poses, shaders, expressions.

Sample scripts

Are you running it on 4.20? The script I tried says it's for 4.9.2.27 so when it didn't work I assumed it just needed to be updated for more recent changes.  I haven't dug into the script to try and understand what it is actually doing but did test it again and it's still not working right for me:  It is either returning multiple copies of one product plus random other products, just "LOCAL USER" or an empty list - sometimes different results with the same scene depending on the OS and whether it's newly created or saved & reopened.

• leo04leo04 Posts: 325

Thank you. As for third party, non DAZ purchased assets, I will have to look into that.  Almost everything I am using is DAZ purchased assets.  I thought it would be a nice courtesy to list at least the asset providers.  If there was a way to extract that information I would do it.

I appreciate everyone's response. Thank you.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,855

SofaCitizen said:

barbult said:

Sample scripts

Are you running it on 4.20? The script I tried says it's for 4.9.2.27 so when it didn't work I assumed it just needed to be updated for more recent changes.  I haven't dug into the script to try and understand what it is actually doing but did test it again and it's still not working right for me:  It is either returning multiple copies of one product plus random other products, just "LOCAL USER" or an empty list - sometimes different results with the same scene depending on the OS and whether it's newly created or saved & reopened.

Yes, it works fine in DS 4.20.1.58 Public Build (aka beta). The script I use from the Daz Sample Scripts is "DB_List_Products_Used".  Output in the log file looks like this (small snippet):

2022-08-24 16:46:38.298 [INFO] :: Loading script: N:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DIM Library/Scripts/Daz Script Samples/DB_List_Products_Used.dsa
    2022-08-24 16:46:40.408 [DEBUG] :: [
        {
            "title": "Genesis 8 Male PowerPose Templates",
            "guid": "ddae914c-5631-4891-996c-53a7bfb8b1e3",
            "files": [
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8_1/FemaleBase/G8_1EyeIrisDepthNormal_1007.tif",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8_1/FemaleBase/G8_1Mouth_NM_1006.tif",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8_1/FemaleBase/G8_1TearOpacity.jpg",
                "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/PBMNavel.dsf",
                "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/PHMMouthRealism_HD_div2.dsf",
                "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Head/PHMEyesCorneaBulge.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1 Eyelashes/Genesis8_1FemaleEyelashes.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1 Eyelashes/UV Sets/DAZ 3D/Base/default.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1 Tear/Female 8_1 Tear.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1 Tear/UV Sets/DAZ 3D/Base/default.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Genesis8_1Female.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_bs_BrowDownLeft_div2.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_bs_BrowDownRight_div2.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_bs_BrowInnerUpLeft_div2.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_bs_BrowInnerUpRight_div2.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_bs_CheekSquintLeft_div2.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_bs_CheekSquintRight_div2.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_bs_EyeLookInLeft_div2.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_bs_EyeLookOutRight_div2.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_bs_EyeSquintLeft_div2.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_bs_EyeSquintRight_div2.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_bs_MouthFrownLeft_div2.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_bs_MouthFrownRight_div2.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_bs_MouthLeft_div2.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_bs_MouthUpperUpLeft_div2.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_bs_MouthUpperUpRight_div2.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_ctrl_BrowDown.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_ctrl_BrowInnerUp.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_ctrl_CheekSquint.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_ctrl_EyeLookSide-Side.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_ctrl_EyeLookSide-SideLeft.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_ctrl_EyeLookSide-SideRight.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_ctrl_EyeSquint.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_ctrl_EyeWide.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_jnt_EyeLookUpLeft.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_jnt_EyeLookUpRight.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_jnt_EyeWideLeft.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/FACS/facs_jnt_EyeWideRight.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/Mouth Realism/PHMMouthRealism8_1_HD_div4.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/UV Sets/DAZ 3D/Base/Base 8.1 Female.dsf"
            ],
            "nodes": [
                "Victoria 8.1",
                "Genesis 8.1 Female Eyelashes",
                "Genesis 8.1 Female Tear"
            ]
        },
        {
            "title": "iV Squish Morphs for Genesis 8 Female(s)",
            "guid": "6ef4acb9-b6cd-4dd7-9b36-c2f431b8b163",
                "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/i3D Valery/iV Squish Morphs/iVSM Contract Breast Left Lay G8.dsf"
            ],
                "Victoria 8.1"
            ]
        },
        {
            "title": "Victoria 8.1",
            "guid": "3f942afd-0277-4cb2-bf50-4509c1e0672d",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_ArmsAO_1005.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_ArmsD_1005.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_ArmsNM_1005.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_ArmsR_1005.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_ArmsSSS_1005.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_ArmsW_1005.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_BodyAO_1003.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_BodyD_1003.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_BodyNM_1003.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_BodyR_1003.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_BodySSS_1003.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_EyelashesNM.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_EyelashesO.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_Eyes01D_1007.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_EyesNM_1007.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_Face1AO_1001.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_Face1D_1001.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_Face1NM_1001.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_Face1SSS_1001.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_FaceR_1001.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_FaceW_1001.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_HeadAO_1002.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_HeadD_1002.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_HeadNM_1002.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_HeadR_1002.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_HeadSSS_1002.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_LegsAO_1004.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_LegsD_1004.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_LegsNM_1004.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_LegsR_1004.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_LegsSSS_1004.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_LegsW_1004.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_MicroDetailNM.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_MicroDetailR.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_MouthD_1006.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_MouthNM_1006.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_MouthR_1006.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_MouthT_1006.jpg",
                "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis8/Victoria8_1/Victoria8_1_MouthW_1006.jpg",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8_1/CTRLVictoria8_1.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8_1/PHMVictoria8_1_Iris_HDLv5.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/Victoria 8_1/FBMVictoria8_1.dsf",
                "/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/Victoria 8_1/FHMVictoria8_1.dsf"
            ],
                "Victoria 8.1",
                "Genesis 8.1 Female Eyelashes"
            ]
        },

leo04 said:

Thank you. As for third party, non DAZ purchased assets, I will have to look into that.  Almost everything I am using is DAZ purchased assets.  I thought it would be a nice courtesy to list at least the asset providers.  If there was a way to extract that information I would do it.

I appreciate everyone's response. Thank you.

I am pretty sure that any paid third party store would have licences similar to Daz Studio, but I admit I haven't really looked at other licences. I think it's just a reasonable and natural assumption that if you buy an asset then you have paid the artist sufficiently to then use said asset in your 2D Renders as you see fit (obviously interactive stuff & 3d printing have their own licences). However, several freebies that I have seen while looking around definitely do have an attribution requirement as the "payment" for using their asset which is certainly fair enough.

But you are right, it certainly would be a nice thing to list/thank the asset creators in the credits section of your publication or something like that. And it is also helpful to some viewers who maybe want to use that asset in their own work to let them know what you used - plus this would avoid lots of comments of "Where did you get X?" etc.

You can try the script that barbult posted and see if you have better luck than me at extracting the products.

edited August 2022

barbult said:

Yes, it works fine in DS 4.20.1.58 Public Build (aka beta). The script I use from the Daz Sample Scripts is "DB_List_Products_Used". 

Seems I have something wrong with my install then :(  I think my Genesis Essentials packages are broken and need to be re-installed - everytime I try a scene on my Mac with a single figure the results all return 3 items instead of 1 sometimes with the essentials product listed twice and 1 other random and sometimes the essentials is listed once as expected but there are still two other random products :/

On my Windows machine it works when I first create the scene but if I save and reload it only gives an empty list or "LOCAL USER".

EDIT: Fixed the duplicates by deleting and reinstalling the Genesis Essentials but all the other issues remain :(

Post edited by SofaCitizen on
  • SofaCitizen said:

barbult said:

Sample scripts

4.9.2.27 is the minimum version, not the required version.

The script queries the database, so its results depend on the metadata assigned to the items - if that changes or differs then so will the results.