Does DAZ Make A Lot Of Log Entries?

gfdamron1gfdamron1 Posts: 189

[Does DAZ Make A Lot Of Log Entries?] The reason I ask this, is my C drive is filling up rapidly. My desktop PC is mainly used for DAZ, and some very light web browsing to DAZ related sites. It's the first desktop PC I have purchased that isn't purpose built- it's a Dell Alienware that I purchased in the spring of 2020. 

I've pared back much of the bloatware that comes with "off the shelf" PCs, though I'm still running the Alienware maintenance software.

Each time I finish up with the DAZ, before shutting off the PC, I check the status of the drives, and C drive always has less space available. It's a 250 GB M.2 NVME PCIE drive. I have never experienced this on any of the PCs I have owned, and I tend to keep my computers far longer than most people.

A quick web search for solutions resulted in recommendations to check on software that makes an unusual amount of log entries, which is why I'm asking if anyone else has experienced this as they run DAZ.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• The Daz Studio log size is capped. 250GB is not a large drive, whata re you installing/saving to it?

• gfdamron1gfdamron1 Posts: 189
    edited August 2022

DAZ 3D, DAZ Studion 4, and DAZ Library are saved to my D drive, a separate internal 2 TB drive. All of my work is saved to an external 4 TB drive.

Post edited by gfdamron1 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,855

Where is your Daz Studio database and cache?

Barbult, I'm not sure; are those with the DAZ files in the Programs folder on C drive normally?

edited August 2022

gfdamron1 said:

Barbult, I'm not sure; are those with the DAZ files in the Programs folder on C drive normally?

Yes, in Daz Studio, go to Edit>Preferences and look at the CMS Settings tab. That will tell you where your database is. Mine is in C:/Users/Barb/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/cms. I think that is the default location (your account, not "Barb", of course!) I've never tried moving the CMS database, but I'm sure you should not do it while either Daz Studio or DIM is running. Richard Haseltine could tell you how to do it, I'm sure. Definitely don't just delete it!!!

In Edit>Preferences, look at the General tab. There you will see the location of the Temporary Files and DSON Cache Files. Mine are on C, again in my account's AppData.

• It is safe to use the Clear button for the DSON Cache and then select a new location for it on a different drive. That should free up a little space on C.
    • It is also safe to move the Temporary Files to a different location on a different drive.
    • You can also specify the Log Size in that same tab. The Log Size is just a number with no units attached. I assume it is bytes, so the default size is 1048576 bytes (1 megabyte) . That's not very big or worth worrying about, I think. The log file can be important for debugging problems, so I recommend not reducing its size, at least not drastically.

CMS Settings.jpg
    786 x 579 - 38K
    Preferences General.jpg
    784 x 579 - 74K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited August 2022

Barbult, thanks for this info! I'm definitely going to try to move the Temporary files and the DSON Cache files.

Post edited by gfdamron1 on
  • IF one has Headshop, one has to [or had to] leave the Temporary Files location at default.

IF one has Headshop, one has to [or had to] leave the Temporary Files location at default.

Interesting info. I don't own that, but I've read in the forum about a lot of installation and usage issues with it. Thanks for adding that warning here.