Newbie advice on system needed

I have a older x58 SLI Classified Mobo https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813188059 with i7-930 2.6Ghz I haven't been putting to use for some time having given up gaming for other things. I plan to learn daz3D/Blender as a hobby for now, so I just picked up a 3rd GTX465 1GB GDDR5 and an a GTX650TI 2GB GDDR5 to complete the 3Way SLI + Phyx configuration (on the cheap, used). I'm also upping the RAM to max (24GB 1600 DDR3). This will get me by while I learn? If there are any recent SLI daz users out there would it be better to go with 4way SLI GTX 465 vs 3way SLI+PhysX card because I've also read that SLI isn't beneficial for rendering, so is that still the case? Is 1 massive card better? If so i'm limited by this old mobo for now...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588
    edited August 2022

Unfortunately those Graphics cards are no longer supported by Iray!

Iray (and most 3D software) use multiple cards without needing SLI.

The good news is that the latest nVidia cards will still work on that motherboard, and Iray will hardly notice the 'slow' PCIe 2.0 slots, if you can manage the power requirements.

Yes, "1 massive card" is better!

Post edited by prixat on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

prixat said:

Unfortunately those Graphics cards are no longer supported by Iray!

Iray (and most 3D software) use multiple cards without needing SLI.

The good news is that the latest nVidia cards will still work on that motherboard, and Iray will hardly notice the 'slow' PCIe 2.0 slots, if you can manage the power requirements.

Yes, "1 massive card" is better!

Not so sure about RTX 30 series running on PCI 2.0, there is an example of 3060 not working on PCI 2.0 system inspite of getting help from Nvidia.