What is the best way to convert Gen 8 figure materials to Gen 8.1 PBR?

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283

What is the best way to convert Gen 8 figure materials to Gen 8.1 PBR?

Eyes, fingernails, skin, hair etc...

Post edited by RexRed on

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Have you tried applying the "Daz Iray PBRSkin" included in "DefaultResourcesforDAZStudio420"?

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283
    edited August 2022

PerttiA said:

Have you tried applying the "Daz Iray PBRSkin" included in "DefaultResourcesforDAZStudio420"?

I belive that if I applied the Daz Iray PBR Skin preset that if I applied a non PBR skin it would just change it back for the most part. 

I am looking for some way to easily convet the existing non PBR skins (on the fly) to PBR with as little tweaking needed as possible.

Post edited by RexRed on
    edited August 2022

But did you try it on top of non-PBR skin?

Edit: Does exactly what you asked.

Post edited by PerttiA on
    edited August 2022

PerttiA said:

But did you try it on top of non-PBR skin?

Edit: Does exactly what you asked.

Hello PerttiA,

I just took a Genesis 8 figure and added Dragomir’s materials to it then I selected the figure and added the PBRskin texture, and it replaced the skin with the base and removed Dragomire's maps. The eyes are white also.

It does not appear that this base shader keeps the existing maps intact.

I am not sure what I am doing in this regard I am still learning non PBR textures and am unable to really notice the difference between PBRskin and non PBRskin's parameters. I just know when the figures maps will not load in Skin Manager that I have a mix of them. Skin Manager usually complains.

I just know that I really rely a lot on the Skin Manager asset from the Daz store and I am finding that I end up with a mix of both PBR and non PBR textures that will not load in either of the Skin Manager utilities.

It would be nice if Skin Manager converted the skin to either base more easily.

Currently it does not seem to work well, and I end up with white fingernails, eyes and no skin maps etc...

Post edited by RexRed on
    edited August 2022

And you used the "Daz Iray PBRSkin" included in "DefaultResourcesforDAZStudio420" found in "DAZ Studio Formats->[Name of Content Library]->Shader Presets->Iray->DAZ PBRSkin"?

Post edited by PerttiA on

Yes, that is the one I used I selected my figure, and applied the Daz IRAY PBRSkin shader and it changed my entire character's skin and left the eyes white. It did not update the "current" textures to PBR. 

Strange... I selected the Skin, nails and lips in Surface tab, loaded the "Daz Iray PBRSkin" shader and it didn't change any textures, but I'm now getting off to work and can't check before getting back home.

Ok, tried the second time with a character that had lots of maps in Iray Uber. All the maps remained the same, none were replaced with other maps, but... Apart from Diffuse/Base, all the other properties were turned off. One just needed to turn them on again.

Eyes turning white - confirmed, but maybe the shader is not meant to be used on translucent/water surfaces, afterall it's called "Daz Iray PBRSkin". One could try applying eyes from another character with CTRL+click and choosing to ignore the textures.

As I said, the first time I chose "Skin-Lips-Nails" when applying the "Daz Iray PBRSkin" and everything converted to PBRSkin just fine.