How to make a Genesis 8 figure from a Genesis 8.1 using Dial Fusion? [Solved]

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283

How to make a Genesis 8 figure from a Genesis 8.1 using dial fusion (or some other means)?

I have tried using the product Dial Fusion to make some dials from my Genesis 8 characters.

But when I apply those dials to a Genesis 8.1 character, they look dramatically different. (this was a mistake I made in applying the dials)

So I took a Genesis 8 figure and created some dials to see if I could transform a Genesis 8.1 figure to a Genesis 8.

The question is how to a make a Genesis 8.1 figure look exactly like a Genesis 8 figure so my Genesis 8 dials work right on it? [Solved]

Post edited by RexRed on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,192

G8.1 can see morphs from G8, but I don't think the other way round is possible - at least not simple.

What are you trying to achieve?

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283
    edited August 2022

Okay I was wrong, (sorry) when head morphs are applied to Genesis 8 or Genesis 8.1 characters the results are as far as I can see, identical.

I am shocked at how nice this works!

I applied the same morph (created in Dial Fusion) that contained a mixture of three characters heads.

This is really great to know that both figures respond the same and deliver the same results.

It is as if they are both the same figure (sort of). 

The figure on the left is Genesis 8.1 and the figure on the right is Genesis 8 after the same morphs were applied to both.

(Note: With Dial Fusion you can apply the head morphs 100% but you can only apply the body morphs 50% at the same time.)

Genesis 8.1 and Genesis 8 edit.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 1M
    Post edited by RexRed on
    edited August 2022

Here is a render I did of both Genesis 8 and 8.1 figures with the same poses and the same "Kasper" figure materials applied.

But no morphs were used.

"Holt" morphs Gen 8.1 and Gen 8

Genesis 8.1 and Genesis 8 No morphs.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 1M
    Genesis 8.1 and Genesis 8 Holt Morphs small.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 1M
    Post edited by RexRed on
    edited August 2022

I have also done renders and found that if you take Michal 8.1 or any other 8.1 figure and reverse the dials you get a Genesis 8.1 figure (Gen 8).

I have been using Michael 8.1 as a base nearly exclusively. I have come to realize that using Genesis 8.1 is probably a more universal approach to morphing a character.

If I need Michael 8.1, I can simply add thoes morphs.

Similarly, if I reverse the dials to any of the other Genesis 8.1 "hybred" figures I get a Genesis 8.1 character.

This was all surprising to me and I am sorry if this is something you have all already known. I maybe assumed the various characters had different geometry to start off with because they seemed so unique.

I knew they were all  built on Genesis but I did not really know to what extent. 

Having the same base (for the most part) between Gen 8.1, Gen 8 and hybred characters allows for a very precice morphing ability with Genesis 8.1 characters from previous and hybred generations.

I hope this is helpful to some becasue it is very clarifying for me at this time.

Best to you Daz peeps! heart

In the example below, Novak, on the right, looks larger than Pablo. This is an optical illusion.

When I slide Novak along the X-axis and superimpose them both they align up together perfectly. The pose seems to be responsible for the optical illusion.

Now there are some "hidden" perameters but I do not think they come into play other than for the poses themselves.

Genesis 8.1 and Genesis 8 Pablo left Novak right Morphs reversed.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 1M
    Post edited by RexRed on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013
    edited August 2022

RexRed said:

I have also done renders and found that if you take Michal 8.1 or any other 8.1 figure and reverse the dials you get a Genesis 8.1 figure.

Yes, because the Genesis 1 to 8.1 base figures (the ones included for free in Starter Essentials) are the only figures with full geometry/mesh files, every other character is just a morph for these base figures and doesn't have full geometry/mesh, only information for where and how much should every vertex be moved (=deltas) from the original location on the base figure.

Post edited by PerttiA on

felis said:

G8.1 can see morphs from G8, but I don't think the other way round is possible - at least not simple.

What are you trying to achieve?

I think I figured it out, thanks for the help Felis! yes 

PerttiA said:

RexRed said:

I have also done renders and found that if you take Michal 8.1 or any other 8.1 figure and reverse the dials you get a Genesis 8.1 figure.

Yes, because the Genesis 1 to 8.1 base figures (the ones included for free in Starter Essentials) are the only figures with full geometry/mesh files, every other character is just a morph for these base figures and doesn't have full geometry/mesh, only information for where and how much should every vertex be moved (=deltas) from the original location on the base figure.

This is such an awesome thing to know and realize when working with 8.1 characters! Thanks PerttiA for your indepth explaination here regarding the mesh!

• I have saved a scene subset of the base Genesis 8.1 male with a few morphs dialed in (cornea bulge, nipples, navel, etc.). I've also posed the feet flat on the floor, but otherwise he's in the default pose.  I found that I did these things every time I loaded the base G8.1M figure, so now I just load my "starter" G8.1M and start dialing in characters/morphs from there. :)

Lee

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

I have saved a scene subset of the base Genesis 8.1 male with a few morphs dialed in (cornea bulge, nipples, navel, etc.). I've also posed the feet flat on the floor, but otherwise he's in the default pose.  I found that I did these things every time I loaded the base G8.1M figure, so now I just load my "starter" G8.1M and start dialing in characters/morphs from there. :)

Lee

That is great idea Lee, to save a Gen 8.1 figure with some prep work done, a simple loin cloth would be good too for when I do live work so I don't have to blank out my screen while I put clothes on them. My Gen 8.1 figures are a bit shy... lol smiley

Thanks for the very useful tip! 

• RexRed said:

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

I have saved a scene subset of the base Genesis 8.1 male with a few morphs dialed in (cornea bulge, nipples, navel, etc.). I've also posed the feet flat on the floor, but otherwise he's in the default pose.  I found that I did these things every time I loaded the base G8.1M figure, so now I just load my "starter" G8.1M and start dialing in characters/morphs from there. :)

Lee

That is great idea Lee, to save a Gen 8.1 figure with some prep work done, a simple loin cloth would be good too for when I do live work so I don't have to blank out my screen while I put clothes on them. My Gen 8.1 figures are a bit shy... lol smiley

Thanks for the very useful tip! 

You are very welcome, RexRed. :)

Lee