Rendering not done

When launching a render, the rendering is not done and DAZ 3D displays "the program is not responding". I have to close DAZ but it doesn't change anything. Unable to start rendering. (Sometimes I create a different file and the render works).
What can I do ?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,192

Attach the log file, found in Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Shouting doesn't help (elephant size font), you gave no information to help figuring out the problem.

What kind of computer do you have, how much RAM, which GPU and how much VRAM?

What does your log say (Help->Troubleshooting->View Log File) - Do not copy the text from the log to the message area, but attach the text file to your post with "Attach a file" above "Post Comment" button

• Uh... PerttyA, where did you see elephant characters in my post???

• Hello Felis,
    Here is the log file as requested. I'm using windows 11 with an MSI Z370 Pro motherboard and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 graphics card, an Intel Core i5 8600K processor clocked at 3.60 GHz and 16 GB of RAM.
    If you can help me, thank you in advance.

txt
    txt
    log.txt
    1M

The 6GB RTX 2060 is very limited in what it can render. Only about 3GB's is left for the geometry and textures after the OS takes about 1GB, DS takes some, the baseload of the scene takes some and about 1GB is needed for the 'working space'
    Depending on the character and what else is loaded on the scene, just one character can already eat all of the available 3GB's of VRAM and drop the rendering to CPU.

The log told that yesterday you were running DS about 12 hours, loading different characters with recent hair products (=resource heavy) and some with high Sub D, without closing DS once during that time, the first renders were done by the GPU but later on the GPU ran out of VRAM and renders were done by CPU.

You need to learn, which assets you can use, not to go over the capacity of your GPU and learn how to reduce the VRAM load of characters/items in your scene.

Also it's better to close and restart DS in between different scenes to flush any leftover remnants of the old scene from RAM and VRAM.

• Thank you PerttyA and Felis for your advice which I will apply. What type of GPU would be needed to work comfortably?

blanco1754 said:

Thank you PerttyA and Felis for your advice which I will apply. What type of GPU would be needed to work comfortably?

RTX 3060 12GB 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,103

I use a 6Gb RTX 2060 on my laptop and there are very few renders it can't handle. For the few that drop to CPU I run the Texture Map Resizer script on it and that normally works.

Fishtales said:

I use a 6Gb RTX 2060 on my laptop and there are very few renders it can't handle. For the few that drop to CPU I run the Texture Map Resizer script on it and that normally works.

Depends on what has been loaded on the scene and if one does know the limits and how to reduce the VRAM consumption.

PerttiA said:

Fishtales said:

Depends on what has been loaded on the scene and if one does know the limits and how to reduce the VRAM consumption.

Then surely it is better to let the OP know that he can do it without spending money he may not be able to afford.

Fishtales said:

PerttiA said:

Fishtales said:

Then surely it is better to let the OP know that he can do it without spending money he may not be able to afford.

With what the OP has in the scene, the textures alone are eating all the available VRAM, not leaving any for the geometry.

The textures take 6GB's of RAM and the default compression settings reduce the amount to about 50% for Iray rendering = around 3GB's of VRAM, which is all the VRAM a 6GB RTX has available for textures and geometry.

With limited resources one has to know, what can be loaded into the scene, or know how to reduce the load to make it work.

The 12GB RTX 3060 is just around 400 USD/EUR and has effectively 3 times more VRAM available for Iray rendering than a 6GB RTX 2060.

PerttiA said:

Fishtales said:

PerttiA said:

Fishtales said:

With what the OP has in the scene, the textures alone are eating all the available VRAM, not leaving any for the geometry.

The textures take 6GB's of RAM and the default compression settings reduce the amount to about 50% for Iray rendering = around 3GB's of VRAM, which is all the VRAM a 6GB RTX has available for textures and geometry.

With limited resources one has to know, what can be loaded into the scene, or know how to reduce the load to make it work.

The 12GB RTX 3060 is just around 400 USD/EUR and has effectively 3 times more VRAM available for Iray rendering than a 6GB RTX 2060.

I get 5.8 GB of ram from my 6 GB card before it dops to CPU. I am on a laptop with 32 GB of memory of which 31.8 is available to Programmes.

Fishtales said:

PerttiA said:

I get 5.8 GB of ram from my 6 GB card before it dops to CPU. I am on a laptop with 32 GB of memory of which 31.8 is available to Programmes.

The 5.8GB's is the total usage, out of which W10 takes 1GB and DS takes a couple of hundred MB's. (W7 takes just 200MB's)

While rendering Iray, the process needs "Working Space in VRAM, which by default is 1.7GB's on DS 4.15 and 1.9GB's on DS 4.20 if there is enough space, if the amount of available "Working Space" gets below 1GB, one starts noticing the rendering times getting slower. The lowest amount of "Working Space" I have seen on a render that was still done on GPU was around 360MB's (very slow)

Attached is a test I made some time ago to see how much RAM and VRAM was used while rendering in IRAY

Case a) just one lightweight G8 figure with lightweight clothing and hair
    Case b) four similar G8 characters with architecture
    Case c and d) started increasing SubD on the characters to see at which point the rendering would drop to CPU

"RAM/GB" and "VRAM/MB" taken from GPU-Z, "DS Log/GiB" taken from DS Log, no other programs were running but DS and GPU-Z
    The "DS Log/GiB" is the sum of Geometry usage, Texture usage and Working Space - After Geometry and Textures, there should still be at least a Gigabyte of VRAM available for the Working space => In my case, Geometry + Textures should not exceed 4.7GiB

Note; Case c) was already using 38GB's of RAM, even though the rendering was done on the GPU, Case d) when rendering on CPU the RAM usage went almost over my 64GB's

Tests made using RTX 2070 Super (8GB), i7-5820K, 64GB's of RAM on W7 Ultimate and DS 4.15

RenderTst.png
    615 x 574 - 42K

At the moment my card shows a usage of 400MB that is with both 4.15.0.30 and 4.20.1.58 Beta idling in the background while watching a video on YouTube at the same time. That is measured with GPU-Z 2.47.0.

edited August 2022

Your DS 4.15 does log the VRAM usage for geometry and textures, what is the maximum amount for them before the rendering drops to CPU?

Edit: Which Nvidia drivers are you using, 'DCH' or 'Standard'?

Post edited by PerttiA on

PerttiA said:

Your DS 4.15 does log the VRAM usage for geometry and textures, what is the maximum amount for them before the rendering drops to CPU?

I already said anything between 5.6 and 5.8GB.drops to CPU on the card when rendering.

Fishtales said:

PerttiA said:

I already said anything between 5.6 and 5.8GB.drops to CPU on the card when rendering.

And that is what the log says about geometry+textures?

Which Nvidia drivers are you using 'DCH' or 'Standard*? 

PerttiA said:

Fishtales said:

PerttiA said:

And that is what the log says about geometry+textures?

Which Nvidia drivers are you using 'DCH' or 'Standard*? 

No idea. I haven't had one drop to CPU for a long while although I have had a few at 5.8GB 

So, if you render a relatively heavy scene that you know, renders on GPU. What is the combined usage for geometry+textures according to the log?

Trying to understand, what's going on, is it the laptop that has another GPU for the display or the drivers (DCU vs standard)

Found one :)

I loaded an old scene into 4.15 which was showing 5.8GB in GPU-Z. It didn't drop to CPU. The laptop has Intel UHD Graphics 630 GPU and CPU running at 3.95GHz.

This is the relevant part of the log.

2022-08-29 18:00:59.122 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Initializing local rendering.

2022-08-29 18:00:59.125 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Initializing OptiX for CUDA device 0

2022-08-29 18:00:59.569 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 1 device(s):

2022-08-29 18:00:59.570 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060)

2022-08-29 18:00:59.570 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...

2022-08-29 18:00:59.570 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend progr: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060): Processing scene...

2022-08-29 18:00:59.632 Iray [VERBOSE] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 279.106 MiB (device 0), 0.000 B (host)

2022-08-29 18:01:11.357 Iray [VERBOSE] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend stat : Texture memory consumption: 2.125 GiB for 145 bitmaps (device 0)

2022-08-29 18:01:11.362 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend info : Importing lights for motion time 0

2022-08-29 18:01:11.363 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend info : Initializing light hierarchy.

2022-08-29 18:01:12.033 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend info : Light hierarchy initialization took 0.671s

2022-08-29 18:01:12.036 Iray [VERBOSE] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend stat : Lights memory consumption: 11.336 MiB (device 0)

2022-08-29 18:01:12.160 Iray [VERBOSE] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend stat : Material measurement memory consumption: 0.000 B (GPU)

2022-08-29 18:01:12.163 Iray [VERBOSE] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend stat : Materials memory consumption: 2.683 MiB (GPU)

2022-08-29 18:01:12.192 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060): Scene processed in 12.622s

2022-08-29 18:01:12.194 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060): Allocated 47.462 MiB for frame buffer

2022-08-29 18:01:12.194 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060): Allocated 1.750 GiB of work space (2048k active samples in 0.000s)

2022-08-29 18:01:12.764 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend info : Allocating 1-layer frame buffer

2022-08-29 18:01:15.255 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00005 iterations after 15.685s.

Ok, nothing strange there;

Geometry memory consumption: 279.106 MiB (device 0), 0.000 B (host)
    Texture memory consumption: 2.125 GiB for 145 bitmaps (device 0)

Combined 2.404GiB = 2.34GigaBytes
    Working Space 1.75GiB = 1.71 GigaBytes
    The rest is taken by the OS, DS, and the base load of the scene.

• Thank you all for your precious help. I still have a lot to learn but I have progressed enormously. thanks again.