Custom Clothing

I'm trying to make a custom shirt. I modeled it in Blender and exported as an OBJ. I then imported it into Daz. At that point I convert it to a Figure and then use the Transfer Utility, selecting Genesis 8.1 Female. Once that's done the shirt goes nuts (see the attached images, before and after the transfer utility). What am I doing wrong?  I have done this a couple times before for other things, without issue. I've only just started learning how to do custom items so I'm still at that point where I'm not even sure what questions to ask.

Shirt 1.jpg
1258 x 1606 - 118K
Shirt 2.jpg
1183 x 1559 - 116K

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,193

Is it modelled towards the base female?

• ebslater26ebslater26 Posts: 28
    edited August 2022

I exported a custom character and modeled it around her. When I imported to Daz I first tried the process with the custom figure and had the issue I described. I then tried the Transfer Utility with the base G8.1F model and had the same problem. To be clear the custom character was created via the morph dials in Daz, not in Blender or anything.

Post edited by ebslater26 on
  • well damn. Your comment got me thinking so I tried the same thing but modeled a quick shirt using the G8.1F base model in Blender. Bringing that one into Daz everything worked like it's supposed to. Why would modeling the shirt around a custom character (that's based off the G8.1F model) cause such a problem?

edited August 2022

When you use transfer rigging, it is assumed that it is modelled against the base character.

When you transfer rigging towards your morphed character, then use current shape and open options and check reverse source shape from target. 

Post edited by felis on
  • well, now I'm confused again :P

why would I need to transfer rigging to my morphed character, and from what?

When your clothing is modelled towards your morphed character, then you should also use the morphed charcter as source for transfer rigging.

And in the transfer rigging dialogue you shall set source shape as current, and in the options below check 'reverse source shape from target'

• Transfer Utitliy is the place with the options. The utility, without being told otherwise, assumes that the rlation of the model to the source figure is what you want the rigging to respect - setting the Source Shape and enabling Reverse Source Shape from Target is how you tell it otherwise.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Transfer Utitliy is the place with the options. The utility, without being told otherwise, assumes that the rlation of the model to the source figure is what you want the rigging to respect - setting the Source Shape and enabling Reverse Source Shape from Target is how you tell it otherwise.

You've got a gift for succinctly explaining things, Richard. After 4 years, I FINALLY understand. Thanks.

• Thanks everyone! I think I finally understand this now too. And that worked by the way.