Importing a Daz Studio Male Character into UE5

VividImaginatorVividImaginator Posts: 38
edited August 2022 in Unreal Discussion

I had a hard-time importing a Genesis 3 Male character into Unreal Engine 5 (UE5); I managed to solve the issues I found and made a video showing how you I did it.

This video could be helpful to other developers trying to import their characters into UE5.

Things to keep in mind:

-Adjust bones; remove troublesome bones. Control rigs can take care of twisting motions.

-Change the skeleton's root position; you don't want your character's feet digging into the ground.

-Pose your character before exporting it; high-heeled shoes will conform to the feet pose. Pose the feet so the shoes look how they are supposed to look.

-Export adjustment morphs; clothing, hair, props, many of them come with adjustment morphs; export adjustment morphs.

-Export the "Mouth Realism HD" morph; you will find it under shape/mouth. The character teeth will look bad in UE5; you will need the Mouth Realism HD morph.

-Export every morph you think you will need. A single missing morph will force you to re-import the character, I missed morphs or discovered I needed more and that forced me to repeat the export/import process over and over again.

-Stay away from fibermesh hairstyles; you can use them if you want but be aware that it will take hours to import a fibermesh hairstyle into UE5. Fibermesh will have a heavy performance impact.

Also keep in mind that you will need interactive licenses for every component that forms your custom character.

Post edited by VividImaginator on

Comments

• catmastercatmaster Posts: 226
    edited August 2022

That's a good summary similar to my experience, want to add some additional tips:

-If the character needs to take on or take off the heels, the high-heeled shoes need to be used in Unreal as the Master Pose Component, and the character body imported as zero pose without shoes. In the construction script combine the body with the shoes using Set Master Pose Component node.

-Fibermesh hairstyles have millions of polygons they're useless for exporting purposes. Hair cards hairstyles can be exported and converted to Unreal groom hair which supports LOD generation: from strands to cards to hair meshes.

Post edited by catmaster on