URGENT - Mac Users that use DAZ Install Manager

Hi Everyone,

I have been using DAZ for years on my PC. I recently switched everything to my new Macbook Pro.
I am really having trouble installing the GoZ plugin so that I can export models from
DAZ to Zbrush. Where does that plugin need to be installed? I run Daz Install Manager to install GoZ. It appears
it installs, but when I run DAZ, I do not see the "Send to Zbrush" script. This makes me believe GoZ is not
being installed in the correct folder. Do I need to choose a path in Daz Install Manager to direct where GoZ should go?
If so, what is that path? Please help! I will be presenting work to a client in a few days and I cannot believe this is happening. 
Thank you in advance!!! BTW, my Mac is up to date and so is my DAZ program.

Comments

• How are you installing Daz Studio?

• Hi Richard,

I believe I used Daz Install Manager to install Daz, because Daz Central won't work.
    But I am not 100% sure. But, I am currently running Daz Studio with no problems.
    If there actually is an installation issue, is it possible for me to reinstall Daz Studio without losing all my files?
    Also, does Daz automatically come installed with GoZ?

Richard, I really appreciate your help on this. I have had a tech ticket in for the last 24 days
    and the responses are always days late and half answered. I'm not trying to trash talk the
    Help Desk, but they have not been helpful with this matter. I also think this could be solved quickly.

Please keep me posted. I appreciate your help.

Eric

• In Install manager click the gear icon, open Advanced Settings, and go to the Applications tab. Is the path for Daz Studio the saem as the actual location of the application?

• Hi Richard,

In the Applications Tab I see  Daz Studio 4.5+(64-bit) has a Path that goes to /Users.

Are you asking if the Daz executable file is in the same User directory? Or are you asking about GoZ?

I also see in the Applications Tab... Zbrush 2021 (64-bit) in the /Applications/Zbrush 2022. Not sure if you needed that info.

Eric

• I was asking about the Daz Studio application.

• adifferadiffer Posts: 2

I let mine do a default install and the app wound up at 

/Users/{accountName}/Daz 3D/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 64-bit

Plugins show up under that in a plugins directory. Open that and see if your plugin made it. That's what I do.

I can't get DAZConnect to stay stable, so I stick to the Install Manager which should put plugins in the right place as long as it knows where the app is.

• ALMOST THERE!!!

Thank you, Richard and Adiffer!

I was able to change my path settings in Daz Install Manager, so that Daz could find the Daz Application.
    So, now I am able to see the "Send to Zbrush" option in Daz. So test everything, I created a sphere in Daz, exported it and opened it in Zbrush and made modifications to it.
    But, when I click the GoZ button to send it back to Daz, I get an error message..."GoZBrush to DazStudio quit unexpectly. Click to report..." This keeps happening.
    I am running Zbrush 2022.0.5 and my path in the Advanced Tab of DIM is Zbrush 2021(64-bit) /Application/Zbrush 2022

Is there something I can do to keep the error from occurring and to send (GoZ) things back to Daz?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,326
    edited August 2022

GoZ doesn't actually communicate directly with ZBruish, as I understand it - rather they communicate using a shared folder in the Public profile (or Mac equivalent,) so I am not quite sure what the ZBrush path is used for. I haven't yet updated to ZBrush 2022 so can't check if GoZ still works for me. C:\Users\Public\Pixologic\ has the files, some of which might be corrupt - but I can't recall which are temp files that can be regeenrated and which are psrt of the bridge, and so can't give good advice one which would be safe to try deleting (I think the GoZProjects folder is the working folder, though).

ZBrush Preferences>GoZ does have an option to clear cache files - try that first.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • So, on my Macbook I do not have a C: drive. Can I just install Zbrush on an external hard drive renamed as 
    "C" and work it that way?

• Also, since I am using a Mac, is there a way that I can continue to run Zbrush on my Mac, without reinstalling it to an external hard drive (C: drive) and simply create the C:\Users\Public\ Pixologic on the C: drive that somehow communicates to both Daz and Zbrush?

My main concern is that I don't want to have Zbrush slowed down by the external hard drive.

• ericwestray said:

So, on my Macbook I do not have a C: drive. Can I just install Zbrush on an external hard drive renamed as 

No, that's just the root drive for a Windows system - I don't know what the Mac equivalent location would be but according to this thead https://www.zbrushcentral.com/t/goz-and-modo-osx/293575 it is Users/Shared/Pixologic/GoZApps/Modo

• Hi Richard,

Man, my head is spinning. I tried reading the threads to the link you provided, but I'm getting more confused.
    I'm not sure I understand. Am I supposed to create a path...Users/Shared/Pixologic/GoZapps/??? on my C: drive?
    If so, what should the last folder be, "Daz Studio"? And what would I put in there? I'm normally not this slow, trust me. LOL
    And I really hate being this lost. Are you able to explain it a little differently? Can I just create a new directory path in the
    Users directory on my Mac?

• You should already have that folder on your main drive, as I understand it - forget abnout drive letters, that's just a Windows (and DOS) think.

• vectorinusvectorinus Posts: 120
    edited August 2022

Well, if you are ready for anything now, then try this, find the GoZ_for_ZBrush_Installer_OSX.app file in the "Pixologic/ZBrush/Troubleshoot Help/"  folder and run it, this will rebuild your GoZ installation. Then start ZBrush and press Preferences->GoZ->Force reinstall. Make sure you choose the correct path for the application you want and make sure you select “Install”. If the application is not found then use the Preferences>GoZ>path to DAZStudio64 button to select the path. Make sure to select “Install” when the option appears.

Post edited by vectorinus on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,844

Hi, I would guess shared data is installed in /Users/Shared/<program/developer name> 

• Richard Haseltine said:

ericwestray said:

So, on my Macbook I do not have a C: drive. Can I just install Zbrush on an external hard drive renamed as 

No, that's just the root drive for a Windows system - I don't know what the Mac equivalent location would be but according to this thead https://www.zbrushcentral.com/t/goz-and-modo-osx/293575 it is Users/Shared/Pixologic/GoZApps/Modo

Sorry, the modo at the end is wrong - it would be DazStudio64 instead.

• Hey Everyone,

Is it possible to just uninstall and reinstall DAZ Studio and not lose all my information and personalize folders and scenes? Do you think that might help to resolve my issue?
    I am able to export objects from DAZ to Zbrush, but when trying to export them back to DAZ, I get that error message.
    An administrator at Zbrush insists that this is a DAZ issue since DAZ has built this GoZ app to work with ZBrush. Ugh!!! This is so crazy.

• ericwestray said:

Hey Everyone,

Is it possible to just uninstall and reinstall DAZ Studio and not lose all my information and personalize folders and scenes? 

Not only possible, it's what always happens (barring accidents).

Do you think that might help to resolve my issue?

No, because it won't touch anything but the core DS files.

I am able to export objects from DAZ to Zbrush, but when trying to export them back to DAZ, I get that error message.
    An administrator at Zbrush insists that this is a DAZ issue since DAZ has built this GoZ app to work with ZBrush. Ugh!!! This is so crazy.

• vectorinusvectorinus Posts: 120
    edited August 2022

ericwestray said:

...Is it possible to just uninstall and reinstall DAZ Studio and not lose all my information and personalize folders and scenes? Do you think that might help to resolve my issue?
    I am able to export objects from DAZ to Zbrush, but when trying to export them back to DAZ, I get that error message...

@ericwestray,

did you run the GoZ_for_ZBrush_Installer_OSX.app file from ZBrush 2022/Troubleshoot Help? Is it easier for you to reinstall daz studio, mac os, and buy a new computer than just run this file?

Post edited by vectorinus on
  • Hi Vectorinus,

I thought I inboxed you and mentioned that I followed your steps to the letter, but I still keep getting the same error message...that GoZ quit unexpectedly.

• Hey Everyone,

The Daz Help Desk finally responded to my issue. I was told that Daz Studio no longer supports the importing/exporting to or from 3rd party programs.
    Is this true? Early today, I was able to import objects to Zbrush, but my problem was I couldn't import it back to DAZ. Now, I can't even do that.
    Am I the only one experiencing this?