Spotlight casting shadows over figures

I downloaded the lastest Beta...and it seems to have borked my main version of Studio. 4.20.02 (I think)

Spotlight geometry is casting the shape of itself over the figure and dropping a heavy shadow behind. The light geometry, whether disc or sphere or cylinder, forms a brown shadow over the skin in that shape and onto the ground behind. This was not happening earlier today, before the Beta.

Is there anyway to solve this? Am I missing something??

Render Emitter is off.

Visible in viewport is off.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Have you tried restarting Daz Studio? I've not seen any other reports of like behaviour.

• Kaye KayeKaye Kaye Posts: 210
    edited August 2022

Yes, Richard. About three times so far and just did a full computer restart. The problem is still there.

This image is a soft fill at about -45 rotation. Geometry 200x200. I've been using this particular light for over a year, and never had this problem

test.jpeg
    1644 x 2458 - 842K
    Post edited by Kaye Kaye on
  • That is a preview rather than a full render.

It is there in the render too.

test2.png
    400 x 600 - 300K
  • What lights are in the scene - just the circular spot or some others? Do you get the same if you set up a quick test scene with similar lighting?

edited August 2022

I have Midnight Stories Blue Nebula HDRi and a soft fill 2 from Render Studio 2 Volumetric plus in the above image.

I've tried with different HDRs and with lights from Easy Light and Render and simply a basic spot light (and the shape changes the shadow.) The bigger the emitter size, the bigger the shadow across the skin and on the ground.

I hope this is what you need:

I've screen grabbed two and rendered the second. It's a simple daz spotlight, about 100000 and emitter 200x200. Render Emitter off (when Visibile in Viewport is off, the shadow is still there). The HDRis are nebula again and Orestes Oblivion. To me, it appears that something is going on with the HDRi's interraction with the spotlight, as its emitter shadow is moving with the HDRi light.

Thanks for your help with this. It's teeth gnashing! lol

test4.png
    400 x 600 - 163K
    test4.jpeg
    400 x 603 - 107K
    test3.jpeg
    400 x 599 - 191K
    Post edited by Kaye Kaye on

Just to add, if I scale the spotlight down to 1%, the shadow is gone. The light is stronger, but can be fiddled with *a lot* (reducing by about 80% to start!). It's a work around of sorts, but I would like to know what's causing this.

I'm on a Mac, btw, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Now I must do something else today!! Though...I probably won't ;-)

I've put a ticket in as my ability to light anything is just a nightmare. *sigh*