About lightning

hi ;)

is it possible to apply the same light emitted by the environment to an emissive surface ?

I don't know if I am clear, I use a translator

thank you

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,193

I would say what you are describing is an HDRI, which is an emissive surface, although spherical.

• Yes... but is it possible to apply the property of the "hdri" to a wall for exemple... to have the same light inside and outside ?
  • thoreandanthoreandan Posts: 151
    edited August 2022

You can use HDRI image files on a surface. The products I've seen that do this put the .hdr map in the base color, luminance, and cutout opacity channels, while putting emission color at full white with no map. If you want to find the .hdr file for a particular lighting product, go to the Render Settings tab, then Environment, then click on the map and select "Browse..." to find the filename and where it is saved, so you can find it when you add it to the surface.

But to get the effect you're looking for, you'd have to make a lot of adjustment to horizontal and vertical tiling and offset so it lines up with the environment HDRI. You'd have to reduce the number of tiles below 1.0 to essentially "zoom" into the HDRI, and then use offsets to move the part of the map you see on the surface to match the environment. This seems like a lot of work.

Could you just turn off the sections of the interior environment that you want to match the environment HDRI? I often do something like this for interior scenes where I use a soft HDRI as the source of ambient lighting.

Post edited by thoreandan on
  • thank you very much for your answer and sorry to answer so late but I was absent... I will try to do what you told me ;) 

"Could you just turn off the sections of the interior environment that you want to match the environment HDRI? I often do something like this for interior scenes where I use a soft HDRI as the source of ambient lighting. "

usually this is what I do, I even export to blender to modify the structures and I import them back to daz to make them easier to handle but in this case there are way too many elements to modify

again thank you very much ;) 

• thoreandanthoreandan Posts: 151

Another way to eliminate the effect of structures outside or behind the camera is to use Iray Section Plane Nodes. The product Iray Stand Kit https://www.daz3d.com/iray-stand-kit is a convenient way to position them, but you can create them on your own without it (I don't specifically know how, probably in the Create Menu?) They eliminate everything in the scene on one side of the node, as if you were cutting the scene with an infinite plane, so if you position it just behind the camera it will eliminate everything blocking the HDRI from behind and you don't have to turn off elements one by one. You can only see the effect in the render and Iray Preview, though.