Daz to Wavefront Obj Export: Naming of Objects

csaacsaa Posts: 815

This is more of a question than anything else: I'm trying to understand the naming convention for objects in a scene exported from Daz as a Wavefront OBJ file. With a scene open in Daz Studio, how do I find the name of the object that appears in the OBJ file?

For example, the G8 Sci-Fi Police Outfit is an asset that frequently makes it into the Wavefront OBJs that I export from Daz (see JPEG attachment for export options). Importing the OBJ in Blender, I see the objects identified as follows:

• (Daz) Police Sci-Fi Belt - (OBJ) belt_6082
  • (Daz) Police Sci-fi Knees Protections - (OBJ) Knees protections_13310
  • (Daz) Police Sci-fi Elbow Protections - (OBJ) elbow_1118

... and so on. Every object belonging to the Sci-Fi Police Outfilt shows up in Blender with its material slots, each material slot corresponding to the info revealed by the Daz surface editor and geometry tool.

On a surface/material level, I see a close match in the names between the Daz scene and the imported Wavefront OBJ. But as to the objects themselves, I can't puzzle out the naming convention that mapped "Police Sci-Fi Belt" to "belt_6082". Is there a tool in Daz that reveals this data? Try as I would, I can't find that information.

Cheers!

daz-obj_export_options.jpg
448 x 503 - 49K
Post edited by csaa on

Comments

• Those are the names, what you see in the Scene pane are Labels

Edit>Objec or Figuret>Scene Identification... will let you see and edit the Name (note that OBJ does not allow spaces), as will the Joint Editor's right-click menu under Edit>Rename Node

• Richard Haseltine said:

Those are the names, what you see in the Scene pane are Labels

Edit>Objec or Figuret>Scene Identification... will let you see and edit the Name (note that OBJ does not allow spaces), as will the Joint Editor's right-click menu under Edit>Rename Node

It'as also in the footer of the Scene pane, under Node (along with a lot of other information, but that isn't editable - although I would not edit recklessly anyway).

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

As Richard mentions, the names are taken from the Daz scene file. For OBJ that's larely set with the surface naming.  Shouldn't be an issue renaming after the export.

I'm not familiar how Blender handles that, but you are at the mercy of the import hosts implementation of OBJ for both import & export options, but Blender should be pretty robust. Remember, a single object can have dozen of surfaces. A single surface can be used on hundreds of different objects.  Look into how you can seach those parameters & what they allow you to do with that info.

My question is why OBJ in this case?  With Daz characters and wardrobe, you loose all of the Morphs and Weight mapping nad rigging, but maybe you need just a static, lighter weight object.

For things that aren't "organic" (vehicles, sets) where you really don't need that stuff in most cases sure, go with OBJ.  Makes it much easier to set up pivots and such.

• csaa said:

This is more of a question than anything else: I'm trying to understand the naming convention for objects in a scene exported from Daz as a Wavefront OBJ file. With a scene open in Daz Studio, how do I find the name of the object that appears in the OBJ file?

For example, the G8 Sci-Fi Police Outfit is an asset that frequently makes it into the Wavefront OBJs that I export from Daz (see JPEG attachment for export options). Importing the OBJ in Blender, I see the objects identified as follows:

• (Daz) Police Sci-Fi Belt - (OBJ) belt_6082
    • (Daz) Police Sci-fi Knees Protections - (OBJ) Knees protections_13310
    • (Daz) Police Sci-fi Elbow Protections - (OBJ) elbow_1118

... and so on. Every object belonging to the Sci-Fi Police Outfilt shows up in Blender with its material slots, each material slot corresponding to the info revealed by the Daz surface editor and geometry tool.

On a surface/material level, I see a close match in the names between the Daz scene and the imported Wavefront OBJ. But as to the objects themselves, I can't puzzle out the naming convention that mapped "Police Sci-Fi Belt" to "belt_6082". Is there a tool in Daz that reveals this data? Try as I would, I can't find that information.

Cheers!

Try Sagan, if you like. It does OBJ export as well and will scale, rotate and mirror the object correctly for Blender, as well as fix the winding order so the normals don't flip. The object names come from the object's label, and the material slot names come from the material name, both of which are readily apparent.

• csaacsaa Posts: 815

Richard Haseltine:

Thank you. I can see the data from those Daz panels you indicated.

Doc Acme, TheMysteryIsThePoint:

Yes, my goal is to produce still images for now. So something conceptually basic and lightweight as Wavefront OBJ meets my needs. From another point of view, mine is the case of I-Don't-Know-What-I-Should-Really-Know-To-Begin-With. While I have software development background, the world of computer graphics and 3D modeling -- not to mention Daz and Blender -- is all very new to me. Thus far it's been a fascinating learning experience, and all the Python scripts I've written for my pet projects are merely scaffolding. When I discover something new or a better too/method along the way, I'm willing to take things down and adapt my workflow.

Cheers!