FBX from TurboSquid 'explodes' on import

Are there 'flavors' of FBX that Studio won't import properly, or is this something I need to take back to the vendor to resolve? I purchaed a model from Turbosquid in FBX format, which generates error messages on import and 'explodes' in the preview window.

Metropolis_TurboSquid.png
1072 x 900 - 493K

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886

Sadly there are "flavors" as you put it, the problem is the different software code the FBX files differently, as well as adding their own "twists" to the format.

With the result that the FBX import plugin can't cope with them, and explosion is normal, but partial loads also happen as well as nothing loading.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

in my experience, the only import option that works is .OBJ unfortunately

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

FSMCDesigns said:

The latest comments on the Change Log are saying that they have been doing something with the FBX importer and exporter

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited August 2022

FSMCDesigns said:

Fbx import perfectly fine in DAZ. Not sure why you're having trouble with that.

@Ptrope  I'd advise you to open that in an all-in-one 3D app such as Blender, to see how it goes. If it opens fine then you'll have to work on the model (maybe exporting it from Blender as fbx or obj will be enough). But it could be worse thant that. Turbosquid models "look" ok but often have terrible topology.

If you don't know much about 3D, upload the model with sendgb (just the fbx, textures aren't necessary) and PM me the sendgb download link, I'll have a look. If there's an easy fix I'll write here the necessary steps to export it properly from Blender. Or I'll send you back a .duf if the object is not too messy (dozens of textures) and conversion to DAZ doesn't take me hours.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • hansolocambo said:

FSMCDesigns said:

Fbx import perfectly fine in DAZ. Not sure you're having trouble with that.

@Ptrope  I'd advise you to open that in an all-in-one 3D app such as Blender, to see how it goes. If it opens fine then you'll have to work on the model (maybe exporting it from Blender as fbx or obj will be enough). But it could be worse thant that. Turbosquid models "look" ok but often have terrible topology.

If you don't know much about 3D, upload the model with sendgb (just the fbx, textures aren't necessary) and PM me the sendgb download link, I'll have a look. If there's an easy fix I'll write here the necessary steps to export it properly from Blender. Or I'll send you back a .duf if the object is not too messy (dozens of textures) and conversion to DAZ doesn't take me hours.

Sharing an FBX would not be permissible, unless the creator specifically allows redistribution.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited August 2022

Was more trying to help than to ask for a 3D object I don't care about. But you're right of course. Didn't think about it this way.

@Ptrope Use Blender. Pretty sure it will open fine. Then export the file from there. If you don't know much about 3D modeling there are tons of useful tutorials around.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • I think from Turbosquid you can ask them for an .obj for any purchased product. If satisfaction cannot be had, monies can be returned.