Installing multiple content folders

TemairTemair Posts: 89
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I have picked up quite a few folders of content in obj format with materials, each in their own folder and sorted into catagories such as trees, plants, flowers, buildings etc,
I am wondering if there is a way to put these folders somewhere in bryce, rather than import each one individually and then add it to the library, if this is possible where do I copy these folders over to as have looked but am not sure where to copy them to

Thanks

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,296
    edited December 1969

@preciousmetal - generally, there are only a few things that need to be in a particular folder in Bryce. You may also know and have this document http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf, if not, get it. All other files can be anywhere on your computer, you can organise the stuff so it suits you best (and where you'll find it also later).

Materials/shaders from content in the OBJ format usually need to be adapted for Bryce in order to get the best of it. Some work fine directly when imported, others need a bit of patience to get them right and once adapted, you would probably save them in an objects library for later use.

• TemairTemair Posts: 89
    edited December 1969

Thank you Horo

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

One thing you can try, if you want these objects to be readily available in Bryce, is to put them in your object library. That's the pictoral menu of objects that appears when you click that little arrow next to the word "Create".

To do this, all you have to do is make sure the entire object you want to save there is selected and has been made into a single "group" object or single mesh object. Then click that little arrow next to the word "Create" at the top of the screen. A pictoral menu will appear. The selected object should be there in the little preview window of that pictoral menu.

By default, the other pictures in the grid will be of the "Installed" objects. Be careful not to click on any of them. At the bottom of that menu will be the word "Installed", with a little arrow next to it. Click that arrow, and choose "User".

Then click the word "Add". This will bring up a dialog that allows you to name your object, and put in a brief description. Once you have entered that information, click the check mark on both the description dialog, and the "Objects" pictoral menu.

Now, next time you want to use that object in the future, just click that arrow next to the word "Create", click the arrow next to "Installed" and select "User", then click on your desired object in the pictoral grid, and, once again, click the check mark for that "Objects" menu.

Um, I'm not sure there is a limit to how many objects you can have. If anyone knows this answer, please speak up.

As Horo describes, you can create other categories than "User" by making the appropriate folders in the appropriate folder. See his PDF to see what and where. It's hard to say exactly where these folders will be, as Bryce can be installed anywhere you chose, but his PDF shows the way to find yours.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 1969

CTippetts said:

By default, the other pictures in the grid will be of the “Installed” objects. Be careful not to click on any of them. At the bottom of that menu will be the word “Installed”, with a little arrow next to it. Click that arrow, and choose “User”.

Then click the word “Add”. This will bring up a dialog that allows you to name your object, and put in a brief description. Once you have entered that information, click the check mark on both the description dialog, and the “Objects” pictoral menu.

Now, next time you want to use that object in the future, just click that arrow next to the word "Create", click the arrow next to "Installed" and select "User", then click on your desired object in the pictoral grid, and, once again, click the check mark for that "Objects" menu.

Never add objects, materials, textures and so on in the folder "User", you do not want to lose its contents after you reinstall Bryce. It is better to create your own folder named "MyName"!

edited June 2015

CTippetts said:
    Um, I'm not sure there is a limit to how many objects you can have. If anyone knows this answer, please speak up.

No limit as far as the number of saved objects is concerned. Once you have more than 5 rows, a scroll bar appears.

WARNING: None of the libraries must exceed 2 GB. If it does, it is rendered useless and everything in it is lost for good. Check the size of the file(s) from time to time and saving the whole presets folder to another location from time to time is also a good idea.

When installing Bryce again into the same location, all presets get overwritten by the default ones. So it's really handy to have a copy of them.

Also note that deleting an item in any library doesn't delete it, it's just not listed anymore. The library size doesn't get smaller.

EDIT: And yes, Alex is completely right. Don't use Installed or User, create new ones so you know what's new.

Post edited by Horo on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071
    edited June 2015

Horo

Mine must work differently then. I have numerous libraries that are on the 2GB limit and when I try to add something new it just tells me with a popup that I can't; I then just create a new library with the same name and add a number to it. I have 3 animal libraries and 3 architecture ones. The 1 and 2 ones are 1.99GB and one of the animal ones is 1.74GB but if I try to add another object to it that will take it over the 2GB limit it doesn't let me. I haven't lost any libraries in all the time I have been doing this. They are all backed up though ☺

Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that, Sandy. I wasn't aware that a warning was introduced. Good to know that you can't add anything if it exceeds the 2 GB limit.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 1969

I am also did not know about the warning. But I prefer not exceed 2 GB, create a folder-type (not even a folder, but the files in their own folders!) OBJ Tree 2, 3, and so on. N.

Буфер_обмена03.jpg
    662 x 712 - 127K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 498
    edited December 1969

I need a little help. I created a folder called "Art" in Windows explorer and evidently I did something wrong because now I have library under that called "Art" and I can't delete it. I've tried populating it with objects and then deleting the library and nothing. In windows explorer there is no sub-folder called "Art". I've tried deleting the main folder and Bryce still thinks it exists. I've shut down/restarted Bryce & the computer, but nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Art

Objects.png
    672 x 515 - 57K
    edited June 2015

@Art - when you create a folder with Explorer and leave it empty, Bryce creates an empty library with the name of the folder the first time you open the library folder. You can rename the folder in Explorer or delete it with Explorer if you don't want it. The library is empty at a file size of 2248 bytes.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 498
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Horo. I got it fixed. :)

edited December 1969

Ok I am getting more and more confused here.

I was hopeing that I could make my catagories somewhere in bryce without having bryce open so find where they go, then put the folders of items in there, and then when I open bryce it can find them, if I can which folder and where can I do that as am lost?

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Preciousmetal: I think you actually have to import each .obj file into Bryce individually and THEN put it in a library.
    Bryce will then convert the file to it's native .obp along with all the material settings so you don't need to keep those separately.

I think this is what you mean.

edited June 2015

@preciousmetal - sorry to have to disappoint you. TheSavage64 is right. Non-Bryce files cannot be opened by Bryce, it can only import and convert them. Your OBJ and associated MAT files need to become one OBP file which can then be saved to the Objects Library.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

No problem Horo its fine just would of been quicker and easier is all, as some programmes will do that and some wont, bryce wont so will import the objects, just would of made it quicker is all, thank you everyone for your time answering