Character loading with high SubD level

Every time i load an 8.1 character with one of my own custom morphs as a scene subset, it loads in with a render subD of 5. Even if i change it back to 3 and resave the scene subset it will again load in as level 5. When making my morphs i have always just exported an 8.1 at base resolution and have never lowered the subd levels to zero. Could this be why my characters load in with subd 5? Im pretty sure other morphs ive made in the past have not had this effect though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• KainjyKainjy Posts: 812

You must resave (overwrite) the subset.. maybe you saved it with a SubD level 5.
    You can also manually edit the file with notepad. 

• globallyglobally Posts: 122

Kainjy said:

You must resave (overwrite) the subset.. maybe you saved it with a SubD level 5.
    You can also manually edit the file with notepad. 

Yeah ive tried writing over the original subset with the level at 3 but it is at 5 again if i reload it in. Maybe doing it with notepad would force it to stay as level 3? So am i oopening the DUF in notepad and literally changing the 5 for a 3?

• KainjyKainjy Posts: 812

Yes you can try looking inside.
    Look also in the default figure file (with notepad) to see if SubD is set to 5 by default.
    PS look again if there are some HD morphs active.. when you active one the SubD is incremented

Does anyone have any other ideas that dont involve editing with a text editor? I took a brief look at what that involves and i feel i dont know windows enough to start playing with that. I am resaving (both rewrite and new save) with the sub d on 3 so wouldnt that have the same effect as editing the file in notepad? I just tried to export my character at base with 0 level and made a new FBM, but it still loads in as level 5 when i reload it in. Could my texture set be doing this? Surely that wouldnt effect the sub d level?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,855

Kainjy said:

PS look again if there are some HD morphs active.. when you active one the SubD is incremented

What? I've never seen that happen.Mesh Resolution in the Parameters pane doesn't change when HD morphs are dialed in.

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 595

globally said:

Does anyone have any other ideas that dont involve editing with a text editor? I took a brief look at what that involves and i feel i dont know windows enough to start playing with that. I am resaving (both rewrite and new save) with the sub d on 3 so wouldnt that have the same effect as editing the file in notepad? I just tried to export my character at base with 0 level and made a new FBM, but it still loads in as level 5 when i reload it in. Could my texture set be doing this? Surely that wouldnt effect the sub d level?

Go ahead and jump into modifying files (usually DUF and/or PP2 files) to correct situations with a product loading.  I started doing that earlier this year in Notepad.  If the correction(s) to be made occur frequently in a file or involves several files for a product, then this could be time/labor intensive.  I finally downloaded Notepad++ last week and making simple or extensive chnages became muich, much easier.  Needed changes can be made simultaneouly in multiple files if they are all open in Notepad++.  I heartily recommend it.

The only way to learn something is to jump into it.  But do it safely here by first making a copy of the file that you need to modify.  That way, it you mess up the original file, simple delete it and rename the copy to its original name.  

jjoyner said:

globally said:

Go ahead and jump into modifying files (usually DUF and/or PP2 files) to correct situations with a product loading.  I started doing that earlier this year in Notepad.  If the correction(s) to be made occur frequently in a file or involves several files for a product, then this could be time/labor intensive.  I finally downloaded Notepad++ last week and making simple or extensive chnages became muich, much easier.  Needed changes can be made simultaneouly in multiple files if they are all open in Notepad++.  I heartily recommend it.

The only way to learn something is to jump into it.  But do it safely here by first making a copy of the file that you need to modify.  That way, it you mess up the original file, simple delete it and rename the copy to its original name.  

Ill give it a go. Any pointers to some tutorials you used?

Ok so ive taken a look at the DUF file in Notepad++ and the "SubDRenderLevel" is at 3, so still no idea why its loading in with a level of 5. Am i looking at the wrong thing in Notepad++?

The "current_subdivision_level" is at 2 which matches up with what i see in Daz.

• Click the gear icon on the division slider in the Parameters pane and open Parameter settings, then look at the Controllers tab - is anything else set to affect the level?

Richard Haseltine said:

Click the gear icon on the division slider in the Parameters pane and open Parameter settings, then look at the Controllers tab - is anything else set to affect the level?

Thanks Richard, did you mean the gear icon to open the morph parameter settings, as i dont see a controllers tab in there.

• If you don't see a Controllers tab like this in Parameter Settings then thre isn't anything else driving the SubD level.

Parameter settings - controllers tab.jpg
    596 x 625 - 46K

Richard Haseltine said:

If you don't see a Controllers tab like this in Parameter Settings then thre isn't anything else driving the SubD level.

Thanks Richard, ive found it and i have no controllers tab, just Asset, Sub-components and keys.Does this mean its the morph itself causing the high sub d?

• Which are you looking at, the morph or the RenderDivisions slider? If you are looking at the morph itself check SubComponents (the things it affects) rather than Controllers (the things that affect it).

edited August 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

Which are you looking at, the morph or the RenderDivisions slider? If you are looking at the morph itself check SubComponents (the things it affects) rather than Controllers (the things that affect it).

ah ok i see it now, i was looking at the morph parameter settings. Im now looking at the render sub d param settings and i can see that in the controllers do indeed have "ERC [Add] > my morph : SubDivision Level". Is there a way to change this base level? i see in the param settings that default is 3 but value is 5. can i just adjust that and be done? Too much optimisum?

Post edited by globally on
  • You an use the Property Hiearchy pane to edit or remove the link - put the parameters pane in edit mode (right-click), then right-click on your slider and choose the Show In Proeprty Hierarchy option. Once there, drill down through attributes>Controllers>1st Satge to get to the link to the diviions and either edit its values or right-click and delete it.

ok i got down to controllers first stage but dont see the erc or anyway of editing or deleting, Just my morph - controllers - first stage (add/subtract), no edit or delete

• Sorry, Sub-components - as in tbe Parameter Settings dialogue.

hang on wait, its early but im very lost. Do i need the parameter settinngs for my morph or for the sub d? in the sub d parameters i have controlers but i see no way of deleting my ERC sub d controlller and in the morph parameters i just have assests and keys.

• The ERC will appear under both, as cotnroller in the division and as sub-component in the morph. If you right-click on the actual ERC_... entry in the Property hierarchy it is Remove Selected that you want (sorry, I was going from memory).

Sorry more awake now. Haha.

ok so it says that genesis 8.1 is what is effecting the sub d level which i know by looking in the parameter settings for the sub d under controllers. I have then opened Show prop hierachy for my morph and i see the sub component 1st stage is full of items. do i find and remove my morph from that list as i dont think i see it.

• globally said:

Sorry more awake now. Haha.

ok so it says that genesis 8.1 is what is effecting the sub d level which i know by looking in the parameter settings for the sub d under controllers. I have then opened Show prop hierachy for my morph and i see the sub component 1st stage is full of items. do i find and remove my morph from that list as i dont think i see it.

If your morph isn't there it may either be driving something else that is there or it may not be relevant to the issue.

So could there be any other reason that seemingly every morph i now make, when saved as a subset then reloads with a sub d of 5. Could i have sent a g8.1 base to r3ds wrap without turning down the sub d before export? would that even make a difference to any of the morphs ive created based on it? Im clutching at straws here i know.

Brand new character morph made by sending g8.1 base with both sub d levels set to 0, no lashes, no tear. Make character morph in r3ds and blender, load in on g8.1 with morph loader pro, save character as subset with hair etc. Load subset in and its magically got a render sub d level of 5 instead of the default 3. Im still so lost.

I dont think i turned down mouth realism when i exported my original G8.1 could that be why every morph now loads with a sub d of 5?