Thigh Twist bone error on UE5 IK retargeting Quinn to G8F

jsdaz_5811013940jsdaz_5811013940 Posts: 118
edited July 2022 in Unreal Discussion

I am trying to retarget Quinn animations to my imported G8F character. I use IK retargeting. The hands and feet do just fine. But, the limbs are a problem. The IK chain distributes knee flexion to all the bones of the leg including thightwist. This means that the mid thigh has a highly flexible joint.

Suggestions? My idea is to limit the rotations of the thigh twist, but have had no luck with the several types of goals and associated solvers.

Thanks for any help.

ThighTwist Error.jpg
800 x 1071 - 78K
Post edited by jsdaz_5811013940 on

Comments

• Just found a fix, perhaps a workaround. I had to redefine the IK chains a bit weirdly.

G8F: chain name: thigh_l  from lThighBend to lShin, and then shin_l from lShin to lMetatarsals

Quinnn: chain name: thigh_l from thigh_l to thigh_twist_01_l, and then shin_l from calf_l to ball_l

This would seem to be incongruent as the G8F chains overlap on the shin, but the Quinn chains don't overlap.

Jim

• jsdaz_5811013940 said:

G8F: chain name: thigh_l  from lThighBend to lShin, and then shin_l from lShin to lMetatarsals

Quinnn: chain name: thigh_l from thigh_l to thigh_twist_01_l, and then shin_l from calf_l to ball_l

For me it didn't solve the problem. As a result, the legs do not bend at the knees.
    Is there any other solution yet?