G8.1 Compatibility w/ G8 Anatomical Elements?

RenderNoviceRenderNovice Posts: 56

Just took the 8.1 plunge, running Daz 4.16.03 (getting ready to upgrade to 4.20) -- and yes, my NVIDIA drivers are up-to-date.

I've got the G8 anatomical elements via the respective V8/M8 "Pro" Bundles.  Usually, for actors that don't come with their own gens matl, I can copy the actor's torso surface at the surfaces tab, then paste over the gens surface for a reasonable result.

While there is no 'torso' surface for G8.1 to copy, copy/pasting from a 8.1 actor's 'body' surface works -- sometimes.  Other times, the entire gen surface just turns jet black upon pasting.

I suspect (and am hoping) my question stems from an underlying ignorance of how surfaces and textures work.  Daz says, "Genesis 8 products should work with Genesis 8.1 characters," but I'm not sure I see this as true for all G8 Pro Bundle products (like anatomical elements.)  It does not appear that Daz's V8.1 add-on product addresses this problem.

What am I missing/ignorant of here?  

Post edited by RenderNovice on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885
    edited July 2022

It's probably a shader mismatch. If the gens are Iray Uber, and the body surface is PBRSkin (which many if not most 8.1 characters are), the surface won't copy exactly. 

Post edited by Gordig on
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,378

The PBRSkin is in the Default Resources for Daz Studio; hopefully you have updated those.

• Thanks!  I have no idea what PBRSkin is or what it does: would ensuring a current update on all Default Resources solve my problem?  To my knowledge everything is up to date -- although I'm still running Daz 4.16 . . .

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

The PBRSkin shader is included in the updated default resources, but if your 8.1 figure looks fine, I'm guessing you already have it. The issue is just that the gens and figure don't have the same shader, so either convert the figure to Uber, or apply PBRSkin to the gens.