Bryce 7.1 Animating transparency?

karentelevisionkarentelevision Posts: 1
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

"Transparency" is one of many aspects of a material that appears in the drop-down menu when creating a keyframe, yet I am unable to animate in any way a change in a material's transparency, either as a whole material or change transparency for any channel used in that material. Am I missing something or is this not actually a feature?

In general, can anyone tell me what can or cannot be animated through the materials lab? Thus far I have only been able to animate changes in the physical characteristics of a material, i.e. size, rotation, etc.

What I am trying to do is make a change to the transparency of one channel of a material, so other channels are still opaque at the end of the animation, but that one channels' material aspects become transparent. Is this possible in Bryce?

Thank you.

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Yes, it can be done as far as I know.

But for any change in the material only the parameters with numbers can be changed. An option can not be switched on or off.
    Also as you probably already know, all material animations HAVE to be done using the timeline and keyframe addition feature from within the Material Lab.

So at the start of the sequence where your material is (for instance) fully opaque, you set transparency to 0 and add a keyframe, then move the timeline scrubber forward to the point where you need the material to be fully transparent. Create another keyframe and then type 100 in the transparency box in the Mat Lab, then click to update the keyframe and you should be good to go.

Hope this makes sense... If not, let me know and I'll try and make it clearer. :cheese:

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I've knocked together a very quick example of what I was talking about above... More just to check I wasn't talking nonsense. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Qjr-GG0ek&feature=youtu.be

• SerpentSerpent Posts: 4,075
    edited December 1969

I've knocked together a very quick example of what I was talking about above... More just to check I wasn't talking nonsense. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Qjr-GG0ek&feature=youtu.be

Very cool - thanks! :)

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,189
    edited December 1969

Dave - Cool Animation :-)

• karentelevisionkarentelevision Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Thank you for your responses. It turned out my issue was in working with textures with multiple channels. I had to make transparency keyframes for each channel for it to look right.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,802

Wonderful animation!