Does anyone know how I can learn more about the Figure Setup tool?

john_antkowiakjohn_antkowiak Posts: 334

Hi. I think the key to being able to merge geometry is in this tool somewhere; I can't merge the geometry of primitives I load into a scene and shape into a prop I'm making. The error message says the merge feature requires a TriAx figure. Apparently it's not enough to convert the primitive object into a TriAx-weighted figure to escape this error message. But I know nothing at all about the Figure Setup tab. Never heard of it before a few days ago. I can't find tutorials on it. I've only seen one of @SickleYield 's videos where she mentions almost in passing that one thing on that one tab is one step of the project she was demonstrating. That's as close as I've come so far. Any suggestions, anyone?

Post edited by john_antkowiak on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

If you are trying to create a prop, wouldn't it be eaiser to just learn a modeling app like hexagon or blender that are actually made for creation, unlike DS.

• When you consider that I've taught myself three complex computer platforms from scratch in the last three years, you begin to see why I'd rather learn the Figure Setup tab than start on a fourth complex computer platform. My project isn't complicated enough to require another platform. Studio can do it. I'd like to master Studio. Thanks though :)

• The merge command is not for making props. If you want a single mesh just export all the separate parts as a single OBJ, then reimport that.

• john_antkowiakjohn_antkowiak Posts: 334
    edited June 2022

I'm just trying to learn and master what Daz does. I have done the export thing combining three primitives into one .obj, but reimporting the obj still treats it as three separate objects. To see what I mean, take a look at the round-ended "keeper" straps in the screen capture. D-forming said .obj deformed the half-cylinder ends differently from the compressed cube at the center. I know why that is, but nonetheless that's what happened. I'd like to learn what the merge geometry function does, and what the Figure Setup tab does. The best way to do that, is to use it for something. Does anyone know how to use this tab? I would really appreciate some advice on how to learn how to use it.

rifle bag WIP dform.jpg
    1705 x 965 - 168K
    Post edited by john_antkowiak on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,340
    edited June 2022

The Merge function is for merginf two figures using the same skeleton into one, as far as I know, it has nothing to do with the kind of mesh editing you want (wich would most likely be called welding). This is the sort of task that really requires a modeller - you might be able to do it in Daz Studio by selective deletion of parts of the promitive, being very careful in your choice of parameters so that all vertices were exactly aligned, but it really would be a massochistic approach.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • hmmm... "Two figures using the same skeleton." Is that what a TriAx figure is? In addition to learning what the Figure Setup tab is for, and what all its options mean, I'm trying to make sense of the Merge Geometry error message that "This action requires a selected TriAx figure in the scene, with geometry and one or more followers." The message implies that it's possible to have a TriAx figure in the scene that has no geometry, and I don't know what that means either. But I do know I can convert a primitive object to a TriAx weighted figure, rig it with a skeleton, parent something to it, and select it, resulting in the presence of a selected TriAx figure in the scene, with geometry and a follower, and I still get the same error message. So I thought maybe if I'm Setting Up a Figure using the Figure Setup functions, I can Set Up a Figure in such a way to satisfy whatever condition the Merge Geometry function is looking for before it will execute... so I can execute it and see for myself what it does. But in order to use the Figure Setup tab to try it out, the first thing I have to do is "Add Geometry." But... add it to what? I don't know what this tool is for or how to use it. So, silly me, I thought I'd create a forum thread on that topic but no one seems to know what it is, or where I can find out more, or even knows who knows these things so they can tell me who to ask. I'm on my sixth reply to a thread and so far not one mention of what this tool does. I know people think they're helping by telling me what Daz Studio DOESN'T do. We could go all day on that subject without getting me closer to an answer. I'd be willing to bet the Merge Geometry function and the Figure Setup tool aren't designed to play the ukelele on top of the Empire State Building on St. Crispin's Day either... but what DO they do? Where can I learn more about what they do? Does anyone know who knows for sure what they do, so I can ask them? Richard, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the depth of your knowledge, and your patience and the time you spend helping people on these forums, but in this case I have to say you're missing the mark. You've already told me elsewhere that you're not so knowledgeable about the Geometry Editor and its functions, of which Merge Geometry is one... so then the specific question for you is, do you know anyone who IS knowledgeable on it?

• A follower is a figure, with the same basic skeleton as the figure it follows. If you want to try this you would use the Transfer Utility, not Figure Setup (which is for figures with new rigging, not fitted items).

• "For figures with new rigging..." like a primitive added to a scene, converted to a Figure, and having new rigging added to it - like the primitives in my screenshot? Your words just described exactly what I've done so far. What am I missing? Is there a tutorial somewhere that explains all of this?

• Yes, the first figure could be an item created through Figuer Setup 9and then adjusted) but any followers (fitted figures) would usually be created via the Transfer Utility, since they need to have the same bone names and centres/orientation (at least before the addition of any custom bones) and the same weight maps will usually be a good starting point.

• ShadowBox24ShadowBox24 Posts: 184

Check out WP Guru

Good luck!

• ShadowBox24 said:

Good luck!

Thanks, ShadowBox!  I did see this one, and Parmy's, and a few others other over there; they showed me that this is do-able but they're pretty short on the finer details as I'm discovering.  surprise You know, the farther I get in this project, the more impressed I am with Studio. Except for the documentation part  lol

edited June 2022

Hi John_A

Contact Jay at WP Guru, I'm, sure he'll be able to help you out with your problem ........ You never know he might do a long tutorial which would be even better. yes

Also try renderguide.com

Post edited by ShadowBox24 on
  • Thank you again, ShadowBox! renderguide is a new one on me and I'm definitely bookmarking it.   smiley

Hope it helps, otherwise get in contact with Jay WP Guru I'm sure he can advise you.

Good luck!