I think I just lost WEEKS of work. Did I? [Nope. Just a couple of hours.]

john_antkowiakjohn_antkowiak Posts: 334

I think I just overwrote the wrong file. I went to Save As/Scene Subset and selected the wrong one to update. Anyone know a way to recover?crying

I was doing so well, too - frequent saves to prevent exactly this loss.

Post edited by john_antkowiak on

Comments

• Lucky for me I'd been keeping enough of the elements of the model I was building as separate components, saving them regularly, with pose presets also, to make reconstructing it much simpler than it would have been. From now on I'm saving it in two places every time :)

Posting this tip in case any wise ones notice it. "An intelligent man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others."  enlightened

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,248

Not really. No incre saves? Saves under other names?

When you went to save as/scene subset - that's a good time to give it it's own name. It will give a "are you sure" message if there's already a file with that name there, asking you if you want to overwrite it.

• Catherine3678ab said:

When you went to save as/scene subset - that's a good time to give it it's own name. It will give a "are you sure" message if there's already a file with that name there, asking you if you want to overwrite it.

Hi, Catherine. "Not really" what? 

I had saved the work regularly, and I had one copy of a much earlier version. (I hadn't saved to it often enough but it was a major-step-completed save.) All the hardest parts were saved separately. In fact I was working on one of the separate elements when I selected the big one by mistake and overwrote it. I'd intended to overwrite a different file.

The rifle bag accessory for Horse 2's western saddle has three different rigged straps so far, with pose presets where the the saddle straps loop around the bag (the two loops you see are actually 4 uses of one strap segment); four "keepers;" and a row of stitching at the edge I'm grateful not to have to start over again. It's being built around a commercial prop I didn't make, so I didn't lose anything there. But it has taken me weeks of learning how to rig things to get this far.

I guess I was hoping Studio has an auto-save function I'd never noticed (lol) and someone might tell me how to find a previous draft... but I think it doesn't. When I wrote the OP I hadn't yet realized how much reconstruction work I'd saved myself with the incre-saves as you call them :) 

rifle bag WIP.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 204K
    edited June 2022

john_antkowiak said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Hi, Catherine. "Not really" what? 

I had saved the work regularly, and I had one copy of a much earlier version. (I hadn't saved to it often enough but it was a major-step-completed save.) All the hardest parts were saved separately. In fact I was working on one of the separate elements when I selected the big one by mistake and overwrote it. I'd intended to overwrite a different file.

The rifle bag accessory for Horse 2's western saddle has three different rigged straps so far, with pose presets where the the saddle straps loop around the bag (the two loops you see are actually 4 uses of one strap segment); four "keepers;" and a row of stitching at the edge I'm grateful not to have to start over again. It's being built around a commercial prop I didn't make, so I didn't lose anything there. But it has taken me weeks of learning how to rig things to get this far.

I guess I was hoping Studio has an auto-save function I'd never noticed (lol) and someone might tell me how to find a previous draft... but I think it doesn't. When I wrote the OP I hadn't yet realized how much reconstruction work I'd saved myself with the incre-saves as you call them :) 

Oh I see you had another post now too, was only the 1st one present when I was typing. You had asked "Anyone know a way to recover?crying" and that was my answer, "not really"

I know that Daz Studio has some cache folders here and there but I don't recall seeing anything ever for a scene file. Those are generally references only to finished products, not works in progress. When a scene is saved with a work in progress, it writes all the data into itself. So yes, if that's overwritten, it's gone.

Another tip for avoiding accidental overwrites that I use is to work from a copy. I have a habit of just saving scenes and of course one would overwrite the previous this way.

A number of people have said that they want an auto-save feature but so for, no, one does not exist ... but if one did - that still would have overwritten your work {if it had the same name}. There would only be a previous draft if you saved one.

Just a thought, any chance you may have saved any work with your modeler?

Looks like quite the project. Think I'd go with making the entire sheath one piece though.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Just a thought, any chance you may have saved any work with your modeler?

Looks like quite the project. Think I'd go with making the entire sheath one piece though.

Well... Daz Studio IS the modeler. After several years of trying to get to get the hang of it (and also GIMP which I'd never heard of before this, and also a GIS mapping platform for an entirely separte project at the same time) and I'm realizing that I know enough now just to make some of the simple items I can't buy because they're not on the market, I decided I didn't want to start learning yet another platform. One day I'm sure I will. What you see in the screenshot, except for the weapon, is just a few planes, cubes, spheres, and cylinders, which is another reason why it's not just one solid piece. The farther along I get on this and also the spurs I'm making, the more impressed I am with Studio. For me the question isn't whether there's a better modeler, but whether Studio CAN do this at all. I won't really know if they'll be manageable for sharing as freebies until I experiment with the Decimator after they're done. The poly count is entirely too high but I'm figuring that out as I go too. 

For me, this is fun. I'm weird like that. I've been a scale modeler my whole life, mostly working in plastic kits, and this project is an extension of that.

john_antkowiak said:

Just a thought, any chance you may have saved any work with your modeler?

Well... Daz Studio IS the modeler. After several years of trying to get to get the hang of it (and also GIMP which I'd never heard of before this, and also a GIS mapping platform for an entirely separte project at the same time) and I'm realizing that I know enough now just to make some of the simple items I can't buy because they're not on the market, I decided I didn't want to start learning yet another platform. One day I'm sure I will. What you see in the screenshot, except for the weapon, is just a few planes, cubes, spheres, and cylinders, which is another reason why it's not just one solid piece. The farther along I get on this and also the spurs I'm making, the more impressed I am with Studio. For me the question isn't whether there's a better modeler, but whether Studio CAN do this at all. I won't really know if they'll be manageable for sharing as freebies until I experiment with the Decimator after they're done. The poly count is entirely too high but I'm figuring that out as I go too. 

For me, this is fun. I'm weird like that. I've been a scale modeler my whole life, mostly working in plastic kits, and this project is an extension of that.

Okay. If you want all the pieces to be one object, there is a way to do that using Hexagon - without loosing the uvmaps. 

In a nutshell, have all parented to one item and send that item over the bridge to Hexagon. In Hexagon give each piece exactly the same name, select all and export out. Then import them back into Hexagon. Send that one item over the bridge back to D/S. Save it as a Prop/Figure file.

• I'll definitely try that. Thank you very much!  :)