Converting Clothing to dForce Laundry Props

Sometimes I need to convert a piece of clothing to a dForce "laundry" prop that I can just drop on a floor or drape over furniture. Often I can't do it because after I fit it to "none" (and add the dForce modifier if needed), whether the clothing is regular conforming- or dForce-type, it still simulates as if it's hanging on the figure. For example, pants hangs and simulates from an invisible waist from a figure it's no longer fitted to, rather than fully collapsing to the surface below it. How can I get around this problem?

Note: I know there are dForce laundry props in the Daz store and use those when possible, but sometimes they aren't close enough to what I need.

Comments

• mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515
    edited June 2022

Oops, looks like I just answered my own question: Edit > Figure > Rigging > Convert Figure to Prop, then add dForce if needed (Edit > Object > Geometry > Add dForce Modifier: Dynamic Surface). Nothing to see here, please carry on!

Post edited by mikethe3dguy on
  • faibolxfaibolx Posts: 71

mikethe3dguy said:

Oops, looks like I just answered my own question: Edit > Figure > Rigging > Convert Figure to Prop, then add dForce if needed (Edit > Object > Geometry > Add dForce Modifier: Dynamic Surface). Nothing to see here, please carry on!

Interesting! I tried the procedure you mentioned above with https://www.daz3d.com/blazer-dress-with-tote-bag-for-genesis-8-female-s , I load the dress, then Edit > Figure > Rigging > Convert Figure to Prop . And add the dForce since it isn't a dforce item, but the dress keeps as if it was worn and explodes. I tried changing the Bend Stiffness to 0.1 , it no longer explodes but never reaches the ground.  Any idea what I could do?

edited June 2022

faibolx said:

Interesting! I tried the procedure you mentioned above with https://www.daz3d.com/blazer-dress-with-tote-bag-for-genesis-8-female-s , I load the dress, then Edit > Figure > Rigging > Convert Figure to Prop . And add the dForce since it isn't a dforce item, but the dress keeps as if it was worn and explodes. I tried changing the Bend Stiffness to 0.1 , it no longer explodes but never reaches the ground.  Any idea what I could do?

Okay, now I just learned something! I'm always on the lookout for business clothing for G8F and really liked that dress, and it was on sale. So I just bought it! I tried just loading it into a scene and adding the dForce modifier to it - it seems to work pretty well as-is after that without converting it to a prop. Give it a try. And thanks for the inadvertent clothing suggestion!

Edit: only thing that might need tweaking is that the buttons get pretty sloppy during simulation, so you might have to adjust their sim properties in the surfaces tab to make them not look like melted Play-doh.

• Interesting conversation :) My thought was, if none of that works for you, you might try using the Joint Editor tool to remove all the bones and see what happens. No bones, no conforming, no memorized pose.

edited June 2022

Nah, it's actually pretty touchy during simulation. The first time I sim'ed it I just rotated it backward close to 90 degrees, put a primitive plane under it and simulated. It worked well, no explosion. But every attempt after that resulted in a "big bang", even after putting it back into the exact same state when it first worked for me it exploded as well. It seems to be the buttons. When I turn off "Visible in Simulation" for them the dress itself seems to sim pretty well - leaving the buttons hanging in mid-air above it of course. Assuming I didn't have to perform multiple simulations with this dress, I'd probably use Geometry Editor to separate one of the buttons out and save it as a prop or scene subset, turn off simulation visibility on the dress buttons and turn their cutout opacity to zero so they're invisible, then position 6 "prop buttons" on top of the dress after simulation, to fake it. For a more long-term solution, maybe adding a dForce weight-map to exclude the buttons might make this work? But that's beyond my current expertise.

john_antkowiak said:

Interesting conversation :) My thought was, if none of that works for you, you might try using the Joint Editor tool to remove all the bones and see what happens. No bones, no conforming, no memorized pose.

Great suggestion! That's something I'll definitely try.